Reverse Eriba up a steep drive

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:56 am
by Robin Mannering (deleted)

Hi folks,

I need to reverse my Eriba up a very steep driveway to store it in a barn for the winter. Each time I try to do this, the weight of the caravan pushes into the towing vehicle and the towing 'element' designed to activate the brakes in a crash .... activates. This is by design I guess.

However, it locks the brakes on causing it to be difficult to push. I neither want to damage the caravan nor the clutch on my towing vehicle. It's not a 'straightbackward' reverse either.

Does anybody know if I can lock the 'element' off whilst I do the reverse? I can't see anything obvious.

If not, I'll have to store it outside for the cold winter we have here in the alps. I have a cover for it but would prefer for it to be inside if possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips. Robin

Scroll up

RE: Reverse Eriba up a steep drive

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:05 am
by Tinkerbelle | 28 Posts

Yes. If you make a U-shaped spacer (from sheet aluminium or steel) you can slip it over the rubber boot (while fully extended) and wedge it against the bolt heads at each end of the spacer. That stops the brake mechanism compressing. (I don't have a photo of mine to hand, but you are looking for something about this shape: https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thund...395030/image/0/)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:01 am
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thund...395030/image/0/

Cor, that's posh. We had the same problem way back in the 70s when we just couldn't get our 12' Bluebird caravan up the lane. We used a lump of 2" x 2" timber cut to size and my co-pilot got out before I started reversing and wedged it into place before the van's brakes were applied

Randa

ps. as far as it not being an easy reverse, I don't know if it's legal or not but we did have an offset front towball on one of our vehicles to push the van up the hill. Offset to the passenger's side so that we could see past the van. I imagine that'll be illegal now. How long is your driveway?

R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:05 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks tinkerbelle for the info and image. Very helpful. Thanks Rando also for your more low tech option. I might have to see what I can do with a piece of timber.

It's about 10 metres long I guess.... very steep.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:05 am

Have you thought of one of these Robin? (boat winch)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0756CFSVK/r...f2-b3ccebafc87a

I know that several folk have used them successfully. They anchor the winch, either temporarily or permanently, to the top of their drive or in the garage. Make sure the tension capacity is correct though.

We carry one with us instead of using a mover and earlier this year we had to yank our Troll backwards off a very muddy pitch. It was easy (although we did use the car to tug it ). You'll probably have to fix it around the axle or somewhere similar.

Boat winch.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) (thank you Mr Frantone)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:06 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:10 am
by Rich_T (deleted)

Your brakes may need adjusting correctly, you should be able to reverse it up any gradient your car can cope with and not have to brakes come on. The part that pulls the brakes on in an accident is the breakaway cable that you clip to the towbar an your car, this only comes into play when the van becomes detached and cant be actuated by the van being pushed closer to the towing vehicle.
How old is your Eriba? Pre 89 auto reverse brakes werent mandatory but even if the early vans werent fitted with them then there should be a mechanism on the hitch that locks the the drawtube and prevents the brakes coming on.

Watling towbars manufacture front mounted towbars for some vehicles and are simple enough to retrofit, we've fitted a few in the past.

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:15 am

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for all the advice. We got it up the steep drive late yesterday. I was lucky enough to find a friend who cut up a short piece of metal about 10 cm long or so. We used cable ties to hold this in place next to the rubber boot preventing the element from closing whilst we reversed it.

A nice low tech solution thanks to earlier comments.

As you've pointed out above though, we may have a problem with the braking mechanism as it shouldn't activating....

I'll look into it at the start of the summer when coming out of storage.

Thanks again for your help all! Much appreciated.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:42 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.074 Posts

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:45 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:20 pm

They do but a combination of wear, age and slope combines together to make life difficult sometimes (I'm talking about the van here although you could also read into it the driver ). Also it's got a lot to do with clutch control. The slower you engage with the van when reversing the better. Also if your van is already on a slope then it'll always come to meet you and applies its brake before you have a chance to reverse.

Randa

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:11 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.074 Posts

But when you do reverse on a slope with the brakes on they are supposed to "snap" release when the wheels turn backwards. At least they are failing in a safe way but I prefer my brakes to be working perfectly. I'll be testing mine on a slope before next season

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1