12v Kaput

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Just cooking dinner tonight, when the lights [12v] went out, came back on for a second then went off, on investigation the fuse above the light fuse [taps] was melted and the light fuse very hot, took out the tap fuse and put a new fuse in the lights even though it looked OK, it started smoking, as far as I can tell nothing 12v is working, still coming home in 3 days so not too bad.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

RE: 12v Kaput

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

That's bad news. I would consider disconnecting the battery until you can find out what is wrong, and maybe take out the mains unless you can isolate the battery charger. Sounds as if you may have a short somewhere. Hope you get home without any more trouble.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:36 pm
by Niv2 (deleted)

Check the low voltage output from the BIP.....this could be higher than normal. On mine I found output was about 17v.....too high,, so I disconnected the transformer and installed a separate intelligent battery charger retaining the BIP as a connection board only. I gather that this is a common issue.
Alternatively, it could be a short somewhere in your wiring.
Time to get the multimeter out!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:06 pm
by Moma23 (deleted)

I had the same fault on my 530 GT. Sandy at Jandi traced it to the wiring for the front dinette overhead light shorting between the metal framework and body. Fault rectified by rewiring the light fitting.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Its got worse, the 12v fuse didn't blow, just the plastic melted and smoke came out so I pulled all the 12v fuses, next night we tripped the site bollard and the van at the same time, when we reset them the fuse box started smoking, so off with all power had to bring power in through the toilet door and up the pan on a 4 gang extension lead, [we don't use] the toilet it was enough for a heater and light. time I think to get an expert in, maybe get a new unit installed [by the way we don't have or want a battery] as we aren't booked to go anywhere till next March we have some time to find someone good, any suggestions? have car will travel.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:15 pm
by Niv2 (deleted)

Sounds like the BIP unit has failed.....not uncommon. Do a search on this site for threads......basically you need to replace the transformer with a new power unit or I did find a chap who could rebuild the BIP although this was not really cost effective.......

I found my BIP had started giving out 17v and I had to do something before I had problems like you!

I’m not recommending the following, but maybe it is what you might be looking at installing https://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/chargin.../prod_1069.html

You may be able to retain the existing BIP as a fuse board providing that you have not cooked any of the installation. This is what I have done.

Last edited Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I (and lots of others on here) can thoroughly recommend John England who is located on The Wirral.

Send him a PM. His name on here is JohnE or email him john@nestoncaravanservices.co.uk

Let us know how you get on.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
rs540 and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2