Red Pennant

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:49 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Every year at about this time, the arguments start regarding Red Pennant.

Very expensive but we are comfortable using them having been fortunate enough not to use them.
The main reason for using them is that they claim to repatriate car and Eriba if either/both break down either together or apart. ie. the Eriba could be sitting nicely in a quiet campsite many miles away from where your car is severely broken down/damaged so Red Pennant will pair them up and bring them home.

At least I think I'm correct? Presumably, if the Eriba breaks down then they'll only bring that home as the car can still be driven?

Apart from the above they offer good personal cover although we found out this year that they've imposed a £40 excess on medical claims.

Question: Is that how others read it and are there other cheaper options?

Do we need to be Caravan Club members to be able to take out Red Pennant cover? We are also AA members.

I'm still unsure about Red Pennant and regular car/Eriba insurance cover. Perhaps the Grafos and the Eribanauts could explain who brough them home after thier unfortunate accidents and how did they find the service? (although they were both hitched up at the time)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

felix likes this post!
Last edited Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:54 am | Scroll up

RE: Red Pennant

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:21 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Will watch with interest.

My breakdown cover with AXA is due to expire soon and they don't cover towing. As I use my classic car to tow also I'm in a bit of a fix because normal breakdown cover will not cover a vehicle 48 yrs old. I will check but I do believe the classic car insurance, which includes Europe wide breakdown, may include towing.

I have found with my classic car any 'deal' promoted by the official club isn't the best option. Being forced to be a member of a club to get deals are not all they make out to be.

Not sure if personal breakdown cover would be the best option for me, do they cover older cars? I get the classic breakdown cover as part of my car insurance so wouldn't save anything either way.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

A few years ago, despite having European cover on our then new car we took out Red Pennant as usual.
One fine sunny Sunday morning, we left our campsite, not booked through the Caravan Club, in the Dordogne. My drivers side caravan wheel was making an almighty noise. I phoned Red Pennant who immediately booked me back into the site and contacted our next site in the Loire. To cut a long story short they managed to get a recovery vehicle and pair of mechanics out by lunchtime who took the wheel off, "re-seated" the bearing with my big copper hammer, cleaned all the dust out of the brakes and got me back on my way. They also contacted the Loire site to explain we were back on our way. Excellent service.
As regards personal insurance we do this through the Post Office, but I will continue with the expensive Red Pennant for the piece of mind it offers.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Saga arranged everything for us, brought car and caravan home, but yes the two were together at the time.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Last edited Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Dave, rather than Red Pennant, we think we remember you saying that you use a German based company? Were they involved at all?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

I personally would not travel abroad without Red Pennant, we have used them for forty odd years and had to call apon their services twice .On the first occassion in France with our motorhome the water pump broke at 1600 hrs one phone call to the control and we had a garage attend by 1700 hrs .As it was late and we were parked in an air they said that they would be back for us at 800 hrs sharp. They arrived at set time and towed us to their garage changed the pump and the cambelt and we were on our way by 15 hrs. Second incident again in motorhome water hose blew off engine , we were in Spain , once again one phone call and the van was picked up and taken to Pamplona for repair. Serious damage done to engine, head gasket blown , head warped had to be skimmed. Red Pennant gave us a choice of hotel or asked us what we would like, we opted to stay on a nearby campsite in a bungalow we were there for ten days. Every couple of days we had phone calls keeping us informed of the progress of the work which was slow. One of the conditions of Red Pennant is that you settle all your bills and then claim on your return to the UK . My bill from the garage was for 3000 pounds plus . I informed Red Pennant that my credit limit was being exceeded with my bill for the ten days in the bungalow .They told me not to worry asked if I was alright with the garage, I confirmed that I was and they paid for the bungalow on their credit card for me.
Wonderfull service and I would never travel without them.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one

Last edited Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:18 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Yes ADAC. they paid our hotel and travel expenses to get home, but I believe they no longer except British members.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:58 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

ADAC have a "join us" link by a union jack (which is the right way up encouragingly) here https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.454 Posts

We had cover with the RAC Arrival scheme, only available to C & CC members. Our car was brought back by the insurance company Saga, the van was wrecked and so abandoned in Germany, presumably ending up in a German scrap yard. The RAC did organise our hotel accomodation for 3 nights and a hire car to get us back to the ferry terminal but I think I could also have claimed this from Saga. The RAC did assure me when I took out the cover years ago that they would reunite car and van if they weren't together at the time of breakdown/accident but this was never put to the test.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Hi Randa,

for RAC arrival, I seem to recall that there is a maximum separation distance between van and tow vehicle at the time of the disabling incident, after which re-uniting of both is not allowed for.
Can't remember what that distance is, I'll look it up when I get time.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:55 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

OK,

for RAC arrival, "We will not re-unite you if your towed non-motorised vehicle is more than 75 miles from where you break down"

For follow on recovery after a breakdown or accident "We will not transport your caravan/trailer to a destination further than 75 miles from your vehicle"

The above are some of the exclusions lifted from my latest Terms and Conditions booklet.

I don't know if Red Pennant or Green flag have similar exclusions tucked away in the small print.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks Ray. 75 miles is quite a distance so there's not much to complain about there

Randa

mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:22 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Well this has prompted me to check all my breakdown cover which is just as well as my modern is due next month.

Modern: AXA, currently UK & EU cover last year's policy cost £78. This does not include towing!
I have spoken to them and to add UK & EU Car & Caravan cover would cost on renewal £125.

Past experience with AXA and breakdowns in the EU can cause headaches but just keep on top of them. I have had far more from them than I've ever paid, so I'll stick with them. In my experience they all seem to call out the local company so it is pot luck as to where you have broken down.

My current Towergate caravan policy doesn't cover breakdown but they are looking into it.

My Classic: Why can't all policies be like these? I have full cover in UK & EU for car insurance, unlimited mileage plus UK & EU breakdown which includes recovery of caravan. All for the princely sum of £110.

A bonus is I don't have to pay for any club memberships to get these polices.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I have to say....If it takes you 75 miles to notice it's not behind you, then you may need to lay off the red stuff !!

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2