externa locker door

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

has anybody fitted a new black seal to the external access door for the under bed locker. I can purchase said rubber seal from Jandi, at £9.50 / mtre. but apparently it is a bit of a pig to fit, (it looks a pig to remove).
seem to have a extremely small amount of water ingress.

troll 555 GT pushing Kia Ceed Estate
Scroll up

RE: externa locker door

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 am
by Deraldos Maisonblanc (deleted)

Discovered damp on the inside of the same external locker door - the inside cover was 'dimpled'. Ive removed the door and I am in the process of stripping the covering revealing a sodden plywood interior panel that appears to have ingressed from the bottom of the door towards the rear of the van (see photos) Ive removed the seal (really easy to do & replace w/o any tools) The seal looks to be in perfect order but will replace with new seal once the panel is fully dried out and Ive applied suitable premier paint layers. I note that others have discovered the same problem in newer models, ours is a 2017 530 & would be interested to hear how it was remedied.

I'm awaiting a reply from Jandi re sourcing replacement seal as Ive failed to identify the seal having searched a couple of suppliers catalogues

Best

D IMG_3017.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_3020.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_3074.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_3075.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Per Terram - 2017 530 with Skoda Superb
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:38 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Surely the seal is there to cushion and seal the opening when the door is shut, it's not designed to seal the door structure itself. I'd be looking for a gap around the joint of Ali.inium frame to door infill. These should have a bead of sealant to stop ingress but the bead can easily go missing during enthusiastic washing and water soon gets in.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

My 2015 locker had the same problem, the whole door was changed out under the damp warranty on its 5th service.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Thanks S - interesting observation and you may be correct. There doesn't appear to be any gap around the aluminium frame - it looks perfect but I suppose it just needs to be a microscopic gap - water always finds a way I suppose. I will give some thought about applying a translucent bead of Silkaflex or similar but I and monitor.

Cheers D

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:04 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I've got form in this respect.

A few years back I cleaned my Bailey caravan and recall a thin length of sealant coming loose on the edge of an exterior locker alloy surround. Without thinking I just removed it. Six months later the hab check showed damp in the floor right under where the bead had been. My theory was that water seeped into the wall panel and because the insulation and structural supports etc are impervious to water it found its level at the bottom of the panel. It gradually built up inside the panel 'til it found one of the holes where a bolt clamped the wall to the floor and the water seeped around the bolt hole onto the ply floor.

Our local Bailey dealer agreed and claimed a complete new locker assembly under warranty, sealing it in place, dried the floor and all was well. Personally I'd have just've removed and resealed the original frame but I just let the dealer do what they wanted to do.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:28 am

Thanks again S. Unfortunately I haven't got any recourse with the dealer (Lowdhams) or Hymer as I decided to utilise a local technician to service my van which I understand invalidates the warranty. I'm happy I've caught the problem in time to remedy and if it re-occurs I'll just have to fork out for a new door. I will definitely apply a sealant.

Cheers D

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1