RE: How to clean the rubber waistline strip.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Before I put my Familia to bed I cleaned the waistline. First of all I scrubbed the waistline with a nail brush and soapy water which took out all the green algae in the joints.Then I tried Meths to clean the rubber inserts, it was working but was taking a lot of rubbing and not as clean as I wanted. I then tried toothpaste, Colgate and eucril as a mild abrasive and that was taking for ever. I tried the nail brush again with strong soap solution and again took forever will limited results.
I then tried a piece of JML magic erasure with just water and with very little effort took off all the grime to make it look like new.... .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-Doktor-Power...ml+magic+eraser

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:09 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #46
I then tried a piece of JML magic eraser with just water and with very little effort took off all the grime to make it look like new....
That's good stuff that melamine foam, but for JML to say it's non-abrasive isn't just disingenuous, it's flat out wrong.

It is abrasive, but I reckon as a rule of thumb that it's okay to use anywhere you'd use a scouring pad.

I'm lucky - a JML regional manager lives three doors down from us. I do stuff for her and she pays in magic sponges. What's not to like?

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:49 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

JML - Magic Erasers are most definitely "abrasive ! ! !" They are great for 'careful' use, I use them a lot BUT BE CAREFUL and EXTRA caution if you're tempted to use on Eriba paint work !!!! or there wont be any left :(

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:08 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Quote: Ribski wrote in post #48
JML - Magic Erasers are most definitely "abrasive ! ! !" They are great for 'careful' use, I use them a lot BUT BE CAREFUL and EXTRA caution if you're tempted to use on Eriba paint work !!!! or there wont be any left :(

Don't worry they are not that abrasive, I tried using one to try to flatten some primer on a scratch on my Familia, after about 10 minutes I gave up with it and used the wet and dry. .....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:32 pm
by therso (deleted)

Nail brush and warm, soapy water followed by.......................CIF!!!! My wife considers the waist trim to be her sole territory. She demonstrated to me this morning and Cif cream cleanser did the trick.

Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:41 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Or for those of a certain age - Jiff

Julie Grafo and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:11 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

There's no need to faff around with Cif or Jif, just give it a wipe with meths and it comes up like new with hardly any effort.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:25 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Scroll up

RE: How to clean the white plastic waistline strip.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:02 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Who this bloke with a Lunar Quasar thingy ?? New model of Eriba ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:04 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:51 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #1
......the simplest way to remove the muck and restore the rubber to its original appearance was to rub it gently with a cloth soaked in ordinary methylated spirits.

Having tried this tip this morning I am once again a very happy bunny. A couple of days ago I sprayed the door lock with a Graphite based lubricant as recommended in the Hymer handbook. I guess it could be said that I was perhaps a little too enthusiastic with the spray can because in the time it took for me to look down and swot the mosquito that was chomping away on my ankle and back again, the darn stuff was leaking out of the lock like a waterfall and down onto the strip. In quickly trying to mop it up I of course made matters worse and ended up with a long black streak. Out came all the products that I new would definitely do no harm to the strip such as neutral soap and warm water and caravan shampoo etc but nothing would shift the stuff. So it was off to the DIY shop as soon as they opened this Monday morning to invest in a bottle of Methylated spirits before trying it on the strip. Absolutely MAGIC - one wipe to the left followed by one wipe over to the right and the strip was as good as new. No rubbing and no effort whatsoever. I finally gave the strip a rinse over with clear water although it might be that this does absolutely nothing except use up more unnecessary time and effort. So glad that I booked-marked this tip and will treat the remaining strip(s) come the Spring.
Door Trim_1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Door Trim_3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Last edited Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:36 pm

Great feedback, Deeps, and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Forum Administrator

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:40 pm

I'm resurrecting this ancient thread because I think I've found something even better than methylated spirit for cleaning the waist strip white plastic trim.

Some time ago my daughter gave me a gift set of Autoglym caravan cleaning products which I have only just got around to using. Their Caravan and Motorhome Cleaner spray not only removed all the green algal discolouration from the waist trim but to my surprise also brought the discoloured greyish plastic strip up a brilliant white with next to no effort.

Waist trim03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Waist trim04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I've also used the spray to clean external black streaks and fly spots from the bodywork, algae growth from the black rubber roof sealing strip, the windows externally and the washroom basin and tap. It can also be used on stainless steel hobs and sinks. I was really impressed by its performance.

Has anyone else used it?

Forum Administrator

Simboc2004 and eribaMotters like this post!
Last edited Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:42 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:02 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Not yet tried it.

But I will now...!

Thanks for that heads up - meths did make my trim better, but not perfect, so I'm all set to try this. I use their Engine & Machine Cleaner to clean under bonnet areas on my cars andit is absolutely amazing!

Cheers, Simon

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0