cycle carrier

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 07, 2019 6:37 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

I know there is a bracket in the "how to" section enabling a towball to be fixed at the front and,it was while I was ferreting about,looking for materials that I found an alternative method.In essence,a towball is bolted onto a spare jockey wheel bracket which can then be clamped to the jockey wheel post which will be in the up position.Only 1 hole needs drilling,suggest 8mm,in the spare bracket,enabling the towball to be bolted on with M8 hex bolts and nylock nuts.Easily mounted on and off..JPG|none|auto]]P1010112 (1).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1010109 (1).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1010110 (1).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1010111 (1).JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 07, 2019 6:38 pm | Scroll up

RE: cycle carrier

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 07, 2019 6:55 pm
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

It certainly looks easier to fit. .I've fitted the bracket as shown in the "How To " section, and I wonder whether that's more robust than a spare jockey wheel bracket? I don't know - I'm nervous about adding anything non standard!

I did wonder if there's a way of adding a towing ball to the rear of the van - it would avoid the bikes conflicting with the jockey wheel and the front opening compartment?

Ron & Angela

Troll 540 GT, with a Mercedes 220 estate
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Brilliant idea. I would have thought if the jockey wheel bracket can hold a caravan it is robust enough.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 07, 2019 7:50 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

I think either bracket ,given the thickness of steel plate involved,could take several times the weight of a bike.As far as the locker door and jockey wheel goes,I,m only using my bracket whilst on the move;it will be removed when setting up camp etc.I suppose you could fit a towball at the rear by drilling thru the floor to install a plate to distribute the torque forces of bikes trying to lever the fixings off the van.Not as good a solution as the front fixing where all forces are taken by the strongest part of the structure.Weight is taken partly by the jockey wheel post,partly by the jockey wheel clamp and chassis.It just feels solid and secure and a nice easy solution to carrying a bike.

Last edited Tue May 07, 2019 8:35 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 07, 2019 7:55 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

That looks like a great idea. .
Will a bicycle positioned there clash with the turning / reversing of the car ?
Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 07, 2019 8:13 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

I,ve used a similar method where I,d bolted the towball to an old jockey wheel post .I then used to remove my jockey wheel and put this unit in its place,bit of a faff though.No issues with turning as I would transport the wheels in the car.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2