plastic/aluminium fairing

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 10, 2019 1:11 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

Is it feasable to retrofit the non slip aluminium section onto a plastic fairing?This section looks relatively easy to fabricate from sheet material.

Last edited Fri May 10, 2019 1:12 pm | Scroll up

RE: plastic/aluminium fairing

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 10, 2019 2:18 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

The aluminium plate is not non-slip, ie you cannot walk or stand on it. The fairings on vans with this still have a front section made out of a vacumn formed plastic, so you would also need to fabricate this part as well, which would require welding.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 10, 2019 7:41 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

I know you can,t stand on it,I was just referring to the type of ally sheet used.I don,t quite understand your post about welding the front section,is this piece aluminium as well? It doesn,t look like it.Vans with this ally piece in look like plastic-aluminium-plastic i.e.3 pieces and the ally piece doesn,t appear to have any complex bends,am I right or barking up the wrong tree?

Last edited Fri May 10, 2019 7:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 pm

I'm assuming you are removing completely your current one piece plastic fairing.
The fairing cover is only in two parts The back section [aluminium] that butts up to the van should be an easy job to replicate if you have access to a press or heavy gauge folding bars. You would also have to replace the front section which is currently plastic.
The front part would need several cut out sections and then folding over on its sides and front edge where the tow hitch protrudes. If you folded the sides over they would flex, and that's why I suggested the welding, which would be on the two front corners. Access holes would need to be carefully drilled so you could access the grease nipples that run along the top edge of the drawbar. These cut-outs would need strengthening by rolling over the edges or welding a strip around the cut edge.
The two units are pop riveted to brackets on the drawbar which require spacers to allow for metalwork that is bolted to the drawbar . Where the two parts meet you have a slight compound angle, which you could work out with templates.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 11, 2019 8:09 am
by cyclop (deleted)

Thanks for that info.......My plastic fairing is looking more attractive by the minute!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 11, 2019 8:56 am

Glad to help. Whilst the metal plastic combo looks good I don't think it will last as long as yours. Where the two parts meet on thr new design is a stress point as the fit is not good and I had to reinforce mine in two places after less than a year. On ownership of previous 3 vans with one piece plastic I made one repair over 15 years.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 12, 2019 7:28 am
by cyclop (deleted)

I,ve always liked the look of the aluminium but ,in view of your experience,won,t be bothering.Cheers

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4