Older tow car recommendation?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 pm
by Julesx (deleted)

I've posted this here in the hope of getting a response as I guess some of the sub forums don't receive so many visitors! I suspect this subject is a bit like a what 'oil and tyre' thread but hopefully some of you will have been down this road in early caravan ownership so you will understand!

I am after some recommendations for an older tow car that would be suitable for pulling a Triton. I know I can use https://towcar.info/GB/ , and I will, but I was hoping for some real life experiences.

Budget of about £3,000.

Something that will pull a Triton but, like most of us caravan owners, will also be good for modest/low everyday mileage with the odd longer 400 mile trips not towing. I'm thinking I would like a petrol model as being an older model a diesel may be troublesome with upcoming legislation.

Consumption is not a huge issue but, unless recommended, I don't really fancy a 4x4 - although I have looked a a Toyota RAV 4 as a possible.

My initial thoughts -

BMW 3 series touring model. These are rear wheel drive - or will a front wheel drive like a Pasat/Skoda/Audi, Golf/Skoda/Audi suffice. I guess a Ford Mondeo might be similar.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Last edited Wed May 29, 2019 5:47 pm | Scroll up

RE: Older tow car recommendation?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 29, 2019 7:04 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.750 Posts

Mine is the very first pic in the Picture Gallery.

It's a 2008 petrol A4 2.0 Turbo 200BHP and it has towed our Triton all around France and England on numerous occasions without problem.

It ticks all the boxes for me.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 29, 2019 7:56 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.329 Posts

With a 3K budget you could be looking at a simple diesel turbo that is strong and reliable as it is without modern high tech wizardry. Any of the VAG 1.9 or 2,0 would suit you well. 140 bhp would be nice, but 110 bhp would cope.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 30, 2019 8:41 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Take a look at an older VW Passat preferably diesel. A 1.9 turbo diesel will tow easily with good comfort and plenty of room. They also won tow car of the year on a few occasions.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 am
by Julesx (deleted)

The A4 petrol turbo is nice (I have similar age TT) but at first search it seems that to get one within my budget with reasonable miles may not be achievable.

The VAG cars are a good call and I have looked online at a couple of Passats - I can see I'll probably end up with one : )

Any votes for a 'left field' choice that most people ignore. Subaru or maybe any of the Volvo estates? You know the kind of car that when you're not looking for one and they pop up for sale at a great price with great history but because they are not from the VAG group, people ignore them?

Also would it be so bad to get an auto or should I stick with a manual box?

Last edited Thu May 30, 2019 2:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 30, 2019 2:47 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I’ve shied away at posting because the temptation is always to say ‘I have one of these and it’s great’ but since you mentioned it, I have a Volvo V70 which is just great! The auto box is a dream, particularly when towing. I would strongly suggest only considering one with a good service history, though in truth, that goes for anything. Prior to that, I had a diesel Mondeo estate, which I liked, though it was base spec and only had some 90 hp so changed it when I got the Troll, looking for something that would ‘boss’’ a heavier van. I certainly had considered a Passat, though ultimately have had no real experience of them..

hth..

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 30, 2019 3:33 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

A Honda Accord 2.0 petrol estate would be very reliable. I have owned two 2.0 petrol Accords in the past for a total of 9 years and nothing went wrong at all.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 30, 2019 4:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.329 Posts

Good call. When did you last hear of a Honda breaking down. In fact I seem to recall one of the breakdown services saying they were the least likely marque to be called out for.
One thing to consider with VAG is auto box problems on older vehicles can be an issue. The dmf on diesels are also prone to problems.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 30, 2019 5:07 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Indeed, upon reflection, a pal of mine is on her second, she abuses them terribly but they do seem to keep going...

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

re: Honda Accord

Following a very bad experience with a terribly unreliable Renault I did extensive research and the Honda Accord seemed unbeatable for reliability. I followed the advice (2 Accords and a CRV) and never looked back.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:20 am
by Julesx (deleted)

Thanks for the replies - very helpful. The Volvo V70 seems doable on price with reasonable mileages. The Honda Accord is one I hadn't thought about and seems like a good choice from what I've read elsewhere. The CRV also comes recommended so that is on the shortlist. I don't know why I didn't look at them as I have had a couple of Honda motorcycles in the past that have been incredible reliable (one I ran to 140,000 miles and still going strong) and have been really easy to own.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:00 am
by Jez (deleted)

Another vote for a Honda here. I know you aren't too bothered for an suv but a Honda CRV Mk 2 diesel should be in your price range and are brilliant for towing. They are roughly the same size as a Rav4 and go forever!

2012 Triton 430 GT pushing a Honda CRV 2.2 ictdi
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12546 topics and 105810 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1