Difficulty unplugging EHU lead

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:11 pm
by Babs (deleted)

I have 1993 Eriba Famillia. When I try to remove the EHU lead it grips the connector and after trying to tug it off and hold the connector
in place at the same time, the rubber seal protecting the wire comes off. It is very difficult to poke back into the top of the connector/socket as it all happens under this plastic flap which gets in the way. I did try a silicone spray on the plastic surfaces but this did not work.
Any suggestions?
I

Scroll up

RE: Difficulty unplugging EHU lead

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

The female end of the EHU lead is held on by the flap.

The blue lever lifts the flap to allow extraction. If the blue lever is broken you can still lift the flap with your fingers

BFB082.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Big Al and like this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:34 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

This is the flap I'm talking about
BU105109.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:01 pm
by Babs (deleted)

Thanks for your reply. The main problem is that the plug is a very tight fit so pulling them apart is difficult

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Have you tried a little WD40 on the terminals on both the plug and socket. You can get a little corrosion on these, plus rust residue from rusting screws etc which can make them harder to remove.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:37 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I had a similar problem, I used spray 3 in1 white lithium grease, it fixed it in my case.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:20 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

The cover has come off our little blue lever but the skeleton of the lever is still there. I think by losing the thickness of the cover. it does affect the lever's action. We've found that the plug on our long lead is a bugger to get out so we always use the shorter lead which releases quite easily.
So different plugs, different tolerances.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:18 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

If we are talking about the flap on the plug l took mine off , made life easier , as long as you remember to follow good caravan practice and plug into the caravan first and then into the electric and unplug the electric before you pull the plug out of the caravan .

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:48 pm
by Babs (deleted)

Thanks for all of your replies. There a few ideas for me to try. Lubrication and perhaps removing the flap on the plug seem the way to go.
Babs

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 am
by highmiler | 367 Posts

The socket in my 2001 Troll started fizzing and sparking at one stage, and the blue retaining clip had snapped, so I bought a complete new socket to fit to the van.
It was not expensive £10/£12 online ,and was easy to fit the new one , I added a bead of silkaflex sealant and the physical connection of the wires was simple because the socket was exactly the same as the old one, so it was easy to refit having taken a picture on the phone first.Access was easy from the rear seat / under bed storage flap.
I would suggest you retro fit a new female plug at the end of your EHU as well, this will gaurantee easy plugging and unplugging.Nothing lasts for ever and easy
maintenance like this should not be beyond the capabilities of any owner with a a pair of pliers and a screw driver.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Doonhamer and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:59 pm
by Babs (deleted)

Thanks I will look into buying a new fitting if the other suggestions do not work. Babs

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4