Hi Everyone! Problem with Brakes.

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:25 pm
by Angel44B (deleted)

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help us. We have an Eriba Troll 530, we bought is brand new about 3 yrs ago. We had a problem with the handbrake that poppedup when we stopped at some traffic lights, we didn't realise and drove about half a mile. The wheels were almost on fire. My husband thinks the brakes had seized but the wheels are free now and turning. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Last edited Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:26 pm | Scroll up

RE: Hi Everyone! Problem with Brakes.

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:31 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Make sure your brakes are still working. My son melted his.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:47 pm
by Angel44B (deleted)

Hi ya, I think that's what has happened, we can move the caravan on the drive with the brake on, we have to keep the reich motor on.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:11 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Do you loop your breakaway cable round the tow ball?, I did hear of someone on another forum whose cable slipped down when they went over a bridge and pulled the brake on causing quite a few quid's worth of damage.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:12 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Best get it looked at soon by a caravan engineer.
If it's any consolation I towed 650 miles with a binding brake drum following a replacement wheel bearing not being seated correctly. The drum was as hot as hell when w arrived on site and only then did I realise we might have a problem. When we left site a couple of weeks later Red Pennant came to the rescue. The nice French men cleaned out the drum, "adjusted" the bearing back into place with my big copper hammer and we went on our way. No permanent damage, amazingly.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:08 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I keep my eye on the real time mpg display on my current car. If it's lower than normal it may point to a problem.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Hi Angel. If the hand brake is left on or comes on when driving, the brake shoe linings will burn off within just a few miles and damage to the drums and bearings soon follows.
I've had to replace brake components on two Eribas so far this year, and have just quoted to replace a complete axle on a third - all due to towing with the handbrake applied.
It's very unusual for the handbrake to lift up on its own - other factors such as the breakaway cable not being routed/fixed correctly, or fouling of the jockey wheel against the handbrake pivot could cause the brake to come on, but the most common cause is driving off without releasing the brake.
As mentioned previously, you need to get the brake system inspected and repaired before using your van again.

highmiler and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:54 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0