Thinking about buying an Eriba - having to do the sums

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:25 pm
by MauriceM (deleted)

Hello,

I have just had to scrap our 30 year old Swift Challenger 440 14ft caravan

I have a 1992 Mercedes 230e. On a long journey I get about 30mpg. Whilst towing the Swift it was down to about 20 mpg.

What sort of economy might I get with a 3 berth Eriba?

I appreciate that only a guestimate is possible - but I would like to factor the fuel saving cost into the decision on whether or not to buy an Eriba.

Thank you for your thoughts

Maurice

Scroll up

RE: Thinking about buying an Eriba - having to do the sums

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:07 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Maurice,
I have towed 4 Eriba's since 2003. 1000kg Triton, 1300kg Troll, 900kg Familia and currently 1200kg Triton. [all 3 berth vans]
My mpg has differed little when towing with a 100bhp diesel VW Touran and 110bhp diesel Skoda Yeti over long dual carriageway/motorway runs, and it is only on shorter runs the heavier vans have an impact.
I have recently swapped to a 1.5 petrol Audi A3 with 150bhp and 250N/m torque. I was expecting a big difference, but I have been proved wrong. I am on a par with real brim to brim mpg of previous diesels although dash computer shows I'm down a little.
On recent near 2,500 miles towing around France I returned 33mpg with fully laden car and van. On a lightly loaded run this summer I recorded 37mpg out and 35mpg return. Some owners achieve 40mpg, a figure I think is realistic with a good modern diesel and something I saw when driving like a vicar with the Yeti.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:09 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

Hello Maurice,

I am no expert but for sums purposes I would use the figures you already have. Your consumption towing an Eriba may be marginally better. It is unlikely to be worse. Obviously the smaller and lighter the van the better your consumption will be but I would not be looking for miracles.

Good luck,

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 am
by gattim (deleted)

What about buying another car?

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105677 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3