Look after your tyres.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:04 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Do you know what age your Eriba tyres are?
Have you checked the tyre pressures lately?

Just because they are nearly new don't get complacent. Check them for damage before every journey.

The following photos taken from the Italian Eriba Group demonstrates just how much damage is done to the van in the event of a blow out

blow out 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)blow out 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Williebraveheart and Big Al like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Look after your tyres.

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Anyone on here fitted this? Someone on facebook has.

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQo...AiAAEgIdoPD_BwE

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:06 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

I did to my Morris before I upgraded the tyres. I still have the set and have considered putting them on the Puck. Problem is they are quite large and look out of place. To take them off to pump the tyres you need to use a mini spanner to undo the locking nut behind the unit. This might mean not having the hub cap fitted as space will be limited.

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:07 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:04 pm
by Phillip (deleted)

Didn't see a reply to your question. Do you know the age of your tyres.

On side wall you see the size 135 r80 13 or what ever, carry on round the side wall looking for a small rectangular box with four numbers inside it. These denote the week and year of manufacture.

The first two are the week of the year, the second pair denote in which year.
Example. 2918 this tells you the tyre was manufactured in the 29 week of 2018.

A rule of thumb is to change your tyres irrespective of wear, tread wear. Every 10 years Some say 7 or 8 years.

Cracking in tyres walls is quiet easy to see but any cracks deep in the tread of the tyre not so, if in doubt find a nice helpful guy like we have at our local garage who will remove the wheel and check it free of charge.

If you didn't already know this I hope you found it helpful in putting your mind at rest before your next outing

Phillip

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:19 pm

We have had some tyres where the age code only appears on one side of the tyre and that is on the inside when fitted as tyre fitters invariably fit the tyres with the large text Tyre Make and Size to the outside.

As it's not an exact science I would say that caravan tyres should be changed every five years irrespective of the wear. Fairly recently we had the "new and unused" spare wheel checked out by a Tyre company as it was the same age as the van when new, at that time 17 years old. It was passed fit but it's not worth the risk for £50.00.

What it does prove though is that tyres kept out of the sunlight such as the Eriba spare are less prone to cracking so we always cover the non-door side tyre when camping to shield it as much as possible from direct sunlight (the awning covers the door side). However that could be an excuse as the cover also protects and hides the wheel clamp fitted underneath from the jibes and jokes from passing mainland Europeans.

Randa

Randa

highmiler and like this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:47 pm
by Cwmboy (deleted)

Randa. Thats a good point you have made about tyres. I check mine before every journey but evn though, I do that was very lucky on a return trip from France recently. On the m25 the road noise is quite loud in our camper as a result of the gaps between the concrete road slabs. At one point the noise changed and I felt a very slight bumping in the steering wheel. I pulled off at the next junction and found that a peice of rubber about the size of my hand had folded back on itself and I could see the metal in the tyre. Luckily there was an ATS garage nearby and I had the tyre changed. When I asked the tyre fitter what had caused it, he said it was "old age" as the tyre was manufactured in 2011. He showed me how to read the age from the DOT on the tyre. I change my tyres as soon as I need to and I think one of the garages fitted an "old" tyre.He advised that when you have a tyre fitted that you always ask the date of manufacture and I will be doing this in future.
You can find the DOT marking on the tyre easily and that gives you the year of manufacture. I have told a number of my friends about this and two of them cam beack to me with the news that they had tyres over 5 years old.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:50 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

5 years is the recommended length of service for a tyre whether fitted or not. It starts degrading from day one.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm
by Malcolm Harle (deleted)

I am buying new tyres for a Triton and asked the company (internet order) when they were manufactured. This is their reply:
"Sale regulations mean tyres can be sold as brand new goods for up to 5 years from manufacture and because of the rigorous testing and delivery implications to the UK and beyond, you'll find that the newest DOT codes available will already be around 4-6 months old.

We're unable to supply or request specific DOT codes due to our supply network. We will always try and supply within a reasonable timescale - as mentioned above - but we don't have the physical stock to check the manufacture date before it's sent on carrier. "
So in theory the tyre could already be five years old when purchased.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:24 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Try e-tyres. When I replaced my Familia tyres some years ago I used then for several reasons. They came to me when it was convenient to me so no driving into a tyre depot with the caravan. They cost about £1 more per tyre than the cheapest tyre depot quote. But mainly because they advised me against there special clearance offer and guided me towards another brand that they checked the date on as they knew I was having them fitted to a caravan. Excellent service.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:40 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I found my local independant garage was cheaper than everyone. Not as convenient granted but it helps me to get good customer treatment when needed.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:46 pm
by Malcolm Harle (deleted)

eTyes were not interested in selling tyres in my area as the had no fitters available.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:09 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I do the same as Roger, when onsite the non awning side wheel has a cover and when at home both wheels are covered....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:51 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I'm even worse. Van is garage/workshop stored all year. In winter it gets a cover over it to keep the dust off it form my woodwork and is jacked up sitting on axle stands.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 pm
by Simon Welton (deleted)

Hello..Checked my Triton 2009 tyres. One was 11years old the other 7 years. The spair 2 years old. I have fitted new tyres.

Williebraveheart and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2