Graeme HH. Fitting a Solar Panel

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:11 am
by GraemeHH (deleted)

I have a 2016 Eriba Troll 540 Touring and am about to fit a solar panel (or two).

With regard to the initial routing of the wires from the panel, I'm considering three options: -

Option 1; Drill a hole in the pop-top near the wardrobe (the Schaudt charger unit and Schaudt solar unit are in the wardrobe). Cover the hole with a gland-box and route the wires though this box and then down the back of the wardrobe. This has the advantage of the shortest cable run but the disadvantage of having to cut a hole in the pop-top.

Option 2; Route the solar panel wires over the side of the pop-top and drill a hole in the roof of the main caravan near the chimney. Again using a gland-box to make the hole watertight. This has the advantage of getting the wires closer to the back of the wardrobe but two major disadvantages; first, there is a long run of unsecured cables on the roof of the caravan that could flap and chafe in the wind when towing and secondly, the hole is drilled into the main body which increases the chances of damp creeping in.

Option 3; Fit a solar panel on the solid roof behind the pop-top. This has the advantage that a more efficient mono-crystalline rigid panel could be fitted (rather than a flexible one on the pop-top). However, the space available is quite small, therefore limiting the power output of the panel and also there is the same thorny problem of where to route the cables!

Does anyone have any advice or experience of fitting solar panels to an Eriba?

Thank you

Last edited Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:40 pm | Scroll up
lockThis thread has been closed

RE: Fitting a Solar Panel

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:59 pm
by GraemeHH (deleted)

Thanks everyone for the advice and also the wealth of information and photos on the various Eriba Facebook forums. I've decided to fit the solar panel on top of the pop-top and drill through the roof to get the wires inside (my initial option 1). This is the kit: -

Solar Panel: - Monocrystaline as they are more efficient than polycrystaline panels. ETFE coated, again to increase efficiency and they are easier to clean. Flexible to fit the slight curve of the pop-top and also lightweight. High wattage so that there will still be some output on the more overcast days. Also, high wattage allows a bit of future-proofing should I decide to run an inverter at some later stage. I opted for a Renogy 160 watt flexible monocrystaline panel. Anything larger got very expensive so the watt/£ ratio became uneconomic.

Adhesive: - Sikaflex 252. I don't want to take any chances of the panel pealing off under the aerodynamic load.

Roof Gland and Wiring: - I opted for the double entry, slightly aerodynamic roof gland to cover the 12mm hole in the pop-top with a normal ceiling rose on the inside. Wiring will be 6mm solar panel cable all the way to the solar panel controller. I did like the neatness of using coiled flex between the ceiling rose and the top of the wardrobe to cater for the raising and lowering of the pop-top. In the end I decided against it though as they are only 1.5mm 13A cable, it would have added, along with the extra joints, greater resistance compared to a single run of 6mm cable.

Solar Panel Controller: - Schaudt LR1218. It plugs directly into the Schaudt electrical control box in the Eriba with a supplied wiring harness, very easy to connect.

I start fitting next week so I'll add some more photos when the job is finished

and 2eZero like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:04 pm | Scroll up

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:27 pm
by GraemeHH (deleted)

The installation is now complete. This is the layout on the pop-top roof with the cable entry gland.

We've just come back from five days "off-grid" caravanning and the battery voltage never dropped below 13v.

, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:29 pm
by GraemeHH (deleted)

This is where the cable enters the Eriba. Roof up and roof down. It works well.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:34 pm
by GraemeHH (deleted)

The solar panel controller mounted in the wardrobe. The cables from the solar panel are routed top left and the solar panel controller plugs directly into the main Schaudt unit.

On a sunny day the panel produced 21v but the controller regulated this down to 14v.

I have'nt made any measurements on an overcast day.

27 July 2020 update: -

After a discussion with someone who commercially fits solar panels to camper vans, I've fitted two fuses in the wires from the panel before they get to the controller box. Apparently fuses should be fitted as close as possible to the solar panel. In my installation, I could have out them at the top of the wardrobe but access was limited so I put them closer to the control box.

https://addpics.com/i/q4y-1-ba2e.jpeg]

I'm getting 20v in overcast conditions.

and like this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:59 am | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105581 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4