Walker Awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:44 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

OK, I'm told that forerunner of the Walker awning is the Van derHorn Sneek and that they are almost identical. If that is indeed the case could someone kindly identify the piece that I've indicated with a blue arrow in the attached screenshot. It is held on to the van by suction, pressure or what? (Click to enlarge image)
2013-10-30_143955.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:45 pm | Scroll up

RE: Walker Awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm
by Crow (deleted)

That is an Isabella part http://penrosetouring.co.uk/acatalog/Isa...II-Bracket.html
I have seen them on other caravans, the hooked poles fit into them but how they work I know not (yet)
It saves drilling the awning rail

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Crow wrote in post #2
...........but how they work I know not (yet)

Can't say as I'm surprised, Rod. Anyone that lives in the middle of a roundabout and has nothing to do all day but watch the traffic sail by isn't really going to learn a lot - especially as concerns how things work.

Last edited Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:20 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

They're Isabella Fix-ons, like Klingons but more cuddly, sorry more useful.

On Isabella awnings they clip onto a ridge of flexi plastic that runs parallel and just inboard of the strip that fits in the rail. They have 'jaws' that clip on the ridge and then rubber padding that bears against the side of the van. On top is a hole and as Rod says the hook on the roof poles resides in the hole.

Fix-ons are positioned in the middle and at each roof corner on three pole awnings.

To see a good illustration of their use click the video link on this page http://www.isabella.net/uk/support/assem...ings/ambassador (best watched in fullscreen)

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:44 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Well that was an interesting video I must confess. The bit I needed came within the first two minutes I think but the guy made erecting that Isabella look so darn easy that I stuck with it for the remaining 17 minutes.
So, nineteen minutes to erect an Isabella Ambassador which by implication, means that I should be able to erect my tiny Touring Plus in 5 minutes flat.........alone.

Last edited Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:48 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:45 pm
by Randa france | 12.859 Posts

You wish....

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:52 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I've tried following his system and it does work except after 3 minutes I've forgotten what order he erects the poles in etc, etc. I need a constant video feed into the brain. They do a good video on dismantling and packing away, can I get my awning down into a similar neat tidy package, can I hell

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:01 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Puss in Boots wrote in post #7
They do a good video on dismantling and packing away, can I get my awning down into a similar neat tidy package, can I hell

Know exactly what you mean. Outwell do a video for erecting a Bear Lake 4 tent and they make it look a doddle. The wife and I have erected this tent roughly 4-5 times now and on each occasion we've come close to divorce proceedings.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:32 pm
by KeithF (deleted)

We have a Vander horn sneek it has fixings in the awning rail to take the hooks but the roof rail curves the opposite way

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

OK, understood. On the Walker UK sight they say - ' On both sides there is a special foam packer which presses against the caravan.' which I'm taking to mean those clamps referred to a little earlier. What's a little strange, and I suppose conflicting, is that in an email I received from them (the Dutch main factory) they said that nothing was actually attached to the awning rail so if these clamps do in fact clip onto the bottom of the rail then maybe something has been lost in the translation.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 am
by Crow (deleted)

On the Isabell awning there is a second extrusion/fin, the main bead goes into the awning rail
below this beading there is another fin and the clamp attaches to this. Then you put your 'ook in.
It does not attach to the awning rail but to the awning itself.

Last edited Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:58 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:59 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I think the foam packer referred to is a strip of padding that seals the vertical edges of the awning against the van to keep the weather out!

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.738 Posts

That's certainly the case with the AL porch awning.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:34 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105549 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1