Awning Carpet breathable underlay

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:06 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

We have always used a breathable carpet in our awnings which is approximately the size of the awning footprint. We use it when just having the Shadow or the Caravanstore out. Problem here is when we get rain in that we either drop one leg of the Caravanstore in which case all the rain soaks the ground in that area or the front if using the Shadow. The other issue is if ground is not completely dry when we setup the groundsheet gets muddy from continuously walking on it.
I know some folks use a underlay first and then place carpet on top which would help stop the carpet getting dirty. Question I have is what size is best for the underlay particularly when using awning. Should it be same as groundsheet or would it be better to be larger so it provides a border around the awning?
tia

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

RE: Awning Carpet breathable underlay

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:20 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

Mike, although not really green and environmentally friendly I have to admit using the underlay method in the wet. I have bought the cheapest plastic decorators sheet I can get a little bit bigger than the groundsheet. I lay the awning carpet ontop and then cut it back or tuck it under so it is about the same size as the carpet. I found that if I left it protruding then water ran down the outside of the awning, landed on the sheet and ran under the carpet. This resulted in stepping down from the van into a nice clean pool of water.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Colin I was thinking of using breathable sheet (Kampa) so in theory the rain water would penetrate through. Being bigger footprint than awning then when taking it down if ground was still damp would stop awning from getting dirty while still keeping groundsheet clean. Usually have to spend a lot of time pressure washing the groundsheet to get rid of hardened mud and dirt.

Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:56 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:34 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Mike, if this is the stuff I'd be interested to see how you get on. https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/Kam...eet/m-4828.aspx The price also looks reasonable.
It looks like lanscape/weed control fabric, but one that will not fray when cut. Talking of which, if you bought this the you'ld get three underlays for £13 Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2m-3m-4m-Wide...pW7PUP8VtLR0uhw

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:52 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We've used one of these for years. Its pleasant to walk on bare foot, it dries quickly and you can brush mud off, easy to sweep and it doesn't kill off the grass.
https://www.decathlon.fr/p/tapis-de-sol-...vEaAlP_EALw_wcB
Are you all using something more luxurious like a real carpet?

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:31 am

I think Mike might be thinking in the same direction as me. We have a breathable carpet that is nice to walk on and can be brushed clean when dry. Only problems are when it gets very wet the mud gets drawn into it and it's a pain to clean or put away dirty.
I noticed on the continent many campers use a very thin sacrificial plastic sheet [like the stuff decorators use] under the awning or tent. Whilst this is not environmentally friendly and a total no-no in the UK where everything has to be breathable, I do go this route if I arrive on a dead pitch devoid of grass.
The Kampa breathable underlay to go under the groundsheet would do the same job, and whilst some dirt would come through it would atleast allow you to pack away a cleaner awning carpet. They are also advertised as being easier to clean and would also add a little comfort and protection if using a hard standing. For the price they would appear to be worth trying out.

Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:12 pm
by Rhys (deleted)

Moroccan matting for me every time. Breathable for grass and thick enough to use on gravel and stone. http://www.moroccanmatting.co.uk/

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:03 pm

Let you know Colin have ordered one ! (not the Moroccan)

Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:10 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:18 am

Well done Mike, I'll let you trial it for me. If it does the job I might get the 4 x 2.5m. This would be the closest size for my 3.4 x 2.5 Kampa awing grounsheet and I could fold it to go under the other 2.5 x 2.5m groundsheet I use.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105727 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0