Using Solar Panel to recharge the leisure battery

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 07, 2020 2:19 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Steve Dill-Russell (Eribafolk facebook)

Further to my post the other day, here are some pics of how I connect my solar panel to charge my leisure battery. The output of the solar panel wired to pins 9 (positive) and 13 (earth) for 13 pin socket or 3 (negative) and 4(positive) on the old type 12s socket then just plug this into you caravans towing electrics. Much easier than using crocodile clips and can easily be unplugged at night to avoid the risk of a back feed when the panel is not charging.

steve.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)steve 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)steve 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Using Solar Panel to recharge the leisure battery

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 07, 2020 7:12 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Good way of using the existing heavy duty wiring which will have two benefits.
One, to to reduce the voltage drop from the solar panel to the battery and two, reduce the number of connectors to the battery. I have far too many at the moment.
I currently have a pair of 2.5mm csa wires connected to the battery. Down through the floor and off to an Anderson connector screwed underneath the floor near the A frame. This is where I connect my solar panel at the moment.
The method shown here is more elegant and economical than mine and I have just ordered a flying 13pin socket to carry out the work.
Just need to find my spare Anderson connector to complete the circuit!

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 07, 2020 7:41 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I really do like that idea. Neat, intelligent and economic. It's got me thinking

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 08, 2020 9:38 am

I've just checked my various wiring diagrams and there are two ways to charge the battery via the 13 ping plug using pins 9(permanent supply) and 10 (fridge supply).
Through the Schaudt Booster that regulates the charge from the towing vehicle or through the little single pole switch on the BIP unit.

The Schaudt booster has a relay that senses whether the towing vehicle is connected and running. The supply for this relay comes from pin 10. So, to use this route to charge the battery off grid would require the solar panel connected to pin 9 and a 12Vdc supply to pin 10 as well which would also fire up the fridge if the 12Vdc switch on the fridge was left on. It would require remembering to turn that switch off each time on arrival at site. Forget once and you have a very flat battery!

The little single pole switch on the BIP would work but sadly not for me as I have used that input to the BIP for my Ctek charger which is permanently wired in to bypass the BIP charging circuit.

I shall give some thought to the solar panel and the Ctek charger sharing this input, as to whether there are any backfeed ramifications.
Work in progress!!

Last edited Fri May 08, 2020 9:42 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 08, 2020 11:57 am

Well, I've tried out a temporary installation and so far so good. I've now got the two supplies, solar and Ctek, both popped in to the top of the little switch on the BIP.

Thinking about it further, the Ctek will only be livened up when on mains hookup (at home) and the solar panel will only be connected when on sites with no hook up, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Both devices have built in diodes or whatever to prevent discharge of the battery through them so I can't think of any other problems with this setup at the moment.
I'd be pleased to hear any other views though, particularly if I've missed a potential problem.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 08, 2020 12:16 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Something to be aware of.

Solar panels should be connected to batteries via some sort of controller to avoid cooking the batteries

Its ok to connect a solar panel in the short term when a battery is well discharged since the battery will hold the voltage down but when the battery gets close to being fully charged the solar panel voltage will rise and this could be higher than the battery is designed to accept

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 08, 2020 12:57 pm

Quite right Just_Chillin.

I have a 60W folding solar panel with a regulator permanently attached at the rear so I'm OK. Right to point it out for others with perhaps less well equipped panels.

and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 8:37 am

Looking around the wonderweb I find that connecting solar panels via the 13 pin plug is not a new idea at all. It's been around even when we were using 7pin grey connectors. I even uncovered one thread on this forum (can't find it again though!)

For some caravans it's more complicated as they have a habitation relay which would require powering independantly to open up the battery charging circuit.
However, on my 2007 Triton the 12Vdc input to the BIP distribution box and thus the battery is straight through and very simple.

Just waiting for my flying 13 pin socket and Anderson connector to complete the mod now.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 10:44 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

If my 530 is wired with a 13-core cable I'm thinking of using the redundant Pin 12 as a feed to an MPPT solar charge controller (eg LRM1218) inside the van which in turn feeds power into the CSV409 battery controller. The correcponding earth (negative) for the solar panels would be pin 13.

The advantage of using this configuration is that is has no impact at all on any existing eletrics including charging circuits, fridge, etc

Since I am awaiting delivery of my 530 I am currently unable to check if its wired with 12 or 13-core cable so will need to wait before deciding what to do

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 12:58 pm

You might be lucky Just_Chillin but I wouldn't mind betting that the 13 pin plug is only wired up with 12 core cable to save money.

Fingers crossed!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 1:11 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

This may be the illusive thread

Solar panel feeding leisure battery

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 4:05 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Thanks for that, but, if I'm readiing it right, it seems an additional 13 pin socket has been fitted to the van and wired back to the electonics inside?

If thats the case, I dont want to add additonal sockets/wiring into the van but rather I wish to employ existing circuitry.

If the factory supplied multicore cable is 13-core and pin 12 is connected then that is a cabling mod-free opportunity to connect an external solar panel to the electronic crcuitry already installed in the van.

All that would be needed is an MMPT to be fitted with its solar feed coming from pins 12 and 13. Pin 13 is the van earth and has no connection to the fridge earth.

The solar panlels could then connect using the standard fit 13 pin connector using pins 12 (+) and 13 (-).

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 4:07 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

You may well be right I am afraid

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 4:09 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

"You may be right I am afraid" meant as response to Ray's comment of likelihood of wiring being only 12-core that is!

Scroll up

RE: Solar Panels

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 13, 2020 9:58 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Great idea to use the 13-pin plug/socket, however, call me paranoid, but could a panel standing on the ground be easily dis-connected and removed by someone of ill repute?

Just asking ...

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT

Last edited Thu May 14, 2020 9:15 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0