Solar Panels

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 08, 2020 11:17 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Hi all

I am thinking of fitting two 100W solar panels to my 530: what do folk think about the following idea?

* Two panels will be fitted to the rear of the van with Kedar-based hinges (same as used for awning connections) so that the panels can be slid out and removed when travelling or not being used (Panels weigh about 7kg each)

* Kedar C-section aluminium profiles will be Sika bonded to the rear panel of the van just below the guttering to accommodate the Kedar beading strips that will be attached to the solar panel frames.

* A pair of aluminim supports will keep the solar panels in a horizontal position when in use

* When in use the solar panels will not only produce electricity but they will create a sun shade for the rear window

Am interested in what people think of the idea / practicalities before deciding whether to proceed

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Solar Panels

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 pm
by Deraldos Maisonblanc (deleted)

Sounds like another option to consider for those that don't wish to have a permanent solar panel affixed to the roof. Although aside from providing shade would it not reduce the flexibility to position the panel(s) to best effect to capture the sun? - to do so you would have to position your van accordingly?

Anyhow I'm about to fit one to the roof of my 530 (160w) as the 'fit & forget' idea would suit me best (less faffing about setting up). Your idea hatched a thought for a sliding fixture on the roof so the panel could be removed for maintenance/replacement rather than the sikaflex adhesive which would be a difficult job to remove. Then again thats almost like planning to fail...Be interested to hear what you decide.

Per Terram - 2017 530 with Skoda Superb
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 12:06 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would expect the surface of the panels to be almost on the same plane as the roof so irradiance by the sun shouldn't be an issue. Its almost akin to the panel being fixed to the roof - no need to worry about positioning the panel or the van (apart from avoiding overhanging trees obviously).

The reason for the panels overhanging the van rather than being on the roof means there's no interference with the pop top. Additionally, it would be easier to fit/remove the panels than the top of the roof I would have thought.

That said, your idea also sounds workable: I'll have a think before deciding what to do

Rgds

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

We installed some panels [an electrician did all the fancy stuff with inverters and control electronics] at our sons "farm" in Devon. For maximum gain they do not go on a flat surface such as the caravan roof but need to go at an angle. For this reason they are on a terraced bank and not the shallow pitch roof. For ease a roof fixing definetely sounds the bes but, but for efficiency a portable panel and on a lead would be better. I suppose you could also look at it as gain for your money. A smaller and cheaper to buy freestanding panel with non invasive installation would give the same output as a larger roof mounted panel.
I don't know what route I would take, but I do like the idea of feeding the power into the caravans 13 pin plug.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue May 12, 2020 9:01 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 12, 2020 10:10 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

I agree, for maximum gain the panels should be at an angle ie they should be perpendicular to the position of the sun, but since the sun is always moving so does this angle. Without a tracker or needing to position the van optimally I'm thinking just keeping the panels flat is the best compromise between ease of use and efficiency (efficiency being compensated somewhat by using two panels rather than one).

I do like the idea of using the 13-pin plug as the solar power input. Does anyone know if the 530 is wired with 12 or 13-core cable (using the spare pin 12 is what I have in mind)?

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 57 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5