Remoska, slow cooker or double skillet

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I’ve used a slow cooker a little at home & I’ve used only a little a double skillet but never used a remoska. Can anyone tell me the plus & minus for them against the slow cooker or double skillet please

Scroll up

RE: Remoska, slow cooker or double skillet

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:56 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I cannot comment on the double skillet, apart from saying that I though they were no longer available. A slow cooker cooks stews slowly.
As regards the Remoska, I thought it was a gimmick until gifted one by my mother some years ago. You need to think of it as a small oven and will do everything an oven will do, but take a little longer. From wonderful baked potatoes, scones, cakes, stews, roast chicken, warm croissants, garlic bread, potato dauphinoise, pasta dishes, warming up meals, it does them all and I would not be without one. And don't forget all of this on about 470 watts or 2 amps of electrics in a compact and simple unit.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Eribanut and monoboard like this post!
Last edited Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I have the double skillet and the Remoska,
The double Skillet I have used for 8 years, it can be used as a frying pan, two pans, when clipped together an oven. When doubled up you can cook something in the bottom and cook veg/rice in the top. As it uses the gas hob you can use them off grid. Because it is so versatile the only other pan you may need is probably a milk pan and that's it.
Pros for skillet: use off grid, compact, save on space with not requiring as many pans.
Cons: using your own gas
You can buy them from here

http://www.thedoubleskilletpancompany.com

Remoska:
The remoska is good however you still need to take all your pans, we also use it in the house as it saves on electric as there are only two of us.
Pros: save on gas, if your pitch includes electric it makes sense to use the remoska, low ampage.
Cons: extra weight and storage, takes longer to cook things than the Skillet. Cannot use off grid.

You cannot go far wrong with either devices, however I still prefer the bullet proof double skillet.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

monoboard and like this post!
Last edited Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:31 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Never knew what a Remoska was until someone mentioned it on this site. We had a halogen oven for the van which worked OK but was big and heavy and not great for space in our Troll. Mentioned the Remoska to a good friend who big white boxed for years until ill health stopped him and he sang the praises of it and said he would not be without one.

The price was a bit high but we got one on the internet last year and we are totally sold on it. We have barely used anything else to cook with since. We have it outside in the awning using the little Troll table.

The heat comes from the Remoska lid and so it acts like a mix of an oven / grill. We had to experiment a bit with cooking times and when to put things in. We went on a month long tour of the North East coast last year and by the end we were using it for nearly everything - it is that versatile. You just need to be careful where you put the hot lid when you want to stir or add things.

As Colin says it uses very little power to get good results. We sit together in the awning having a glass of wine whilst we watch it cooking. All very relaxing and using it in the awning you have no cooking smells in the van. This is important for us as I make a lot of hot spicy food.

The other beauty is that you only have one pan to clean and it cleans very easily.

When we got back after the North East trip we took all the other pans out from under the sink and put them in the house. The Remoska is now a constant for us.

MikeT

monoboard likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:26 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:13 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We are remoska convertees too. You can get an excellent cookery book for it too.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:59 pm
by RoofRaiser (deleted)

I love my Remoska. It lives permanently in the kitchen and I use a lot. It's great for meat, chicken, sausages etc, i use it as a small oven, and, as there isn't an oven in my van, i'll be taking away with us on our adventures (if we ever get to have any adventures this year!!!). Better, quicker and more versatile that the slow cooker, which is great for casseroles, curries etc.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:55 pm
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

Electric Weber with skillet & pizza stone does it all.
Leg of lamb ,100 deg c for 5 hrs.
Jacket potatoes to die for !!!!
Garlic bread, herby roast potatoes.
Above 5 amps no problem, France or Spain.
I've not paid for gas for 2 years...

Last edited Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:38 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Is a standard size the one to go for for two people ? and when you take the lid off to stir, check or finish cooking can you put the lid down on a surface upside down with out burning something

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:28 am

The standard 2 person 2L size is just the job for 2 people. When you take the lid off it is very hot and you have to flip it over so it rests upside down with the heated underside pointing at the ceiling.
One small warning is do not hold the lid up like a lolly pop as some condensation does collect inside and can run down into the switch area. My6/7 year old house one has tripped the consumer unit once, as has the 25 year old one that is now in the caravan.
If buying new then Lakeland have a Black Friday offer https://www.lakeland.co.uk/62495/Standar...Glass-Lid-Black
Others have bought from Alza,https://www.alza.co.uk/remoska-r21f02-2l...5708877.htm?o=5 but after postage this is not so attractive when Lakeland have the special offer on.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Makes you wonder how Lakeland get away with charging there usual price! If your using at home does it take a lot longer to cook?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:48 am

Everything takes a bit longer but you are only using 400 watts instead of typical ovens 3000 watts.
Fairly large jackets in 1 1/4 hrs. Baked Risotto 30 mins. Re-heat of a stew/curry etc 20/25 mins,
The only thing it will not do is get roasts, meats or veg very crispy. A small chicken does come out delicious and moist though.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:05 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

well I've taken the plunge & ordered one off Lakeland. Just looking to see if there recipe book is any good & Lakeland don't have stock of the books but just glancing at a roast lamb recipe on the remoska.co.uk site & they talk about using roasting bags for the lamb joint which surprised me why they would need one?

eribaMotters likes this post!
Last edited Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:18 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

we just bought one from Lakeland as well. We may try it on our boat (running off the inverter as we travel along), as well as on the Eriba of course.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:25 pm
by Stan Doori | 214 Posts

Yesterday I received a Remoska - eBay purchase. So immediately marinaded some chicken to test it.
Cooked it last night. Took about 25 minutes and it was delicious.
This will be a great asset in the Eriba. I want to put together a few must have ingredients to keep in the Eriba cupboards - spices, soy sauce, etc - so can always do chicken and fish. The recipe book which came with it looks excellent too. IMG_20201112_181552654_copy_1024x1365.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20201112_181543282_copy_1024x768.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Doonhamer likes this post!
Last edited Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:36 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Use the search facility for remoska recipes there is a thread on them somewhere on this forum I have a vague memorly of a pdf by a member unless lockdown has made me completely bonkers

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4