Laying a new vinyl floor directly on top of the original floor...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:22 pm
by Lost Nomads (deleted)

... I’m new to the forum so apologies if this topic has been covered before.

I’m looking at laying a thin self-adhesive floor (plank system) directly on top of the original floor in our Troll 540GT.

Has anyone done this before or got any advice?

Many thanks

LN

Last edited Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:44 pm | Scroll up

RE: Laying a new vinyl floor directly on top of the original floor...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:58 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Hi LN & welcome to the Forum

We have a 540GT and during Lockdown I toyed with the idea of putting down some Flotex Carpet tiles on top of our floor instead of the various smallish mats that we use at the moment. These are hard wearing and water resistant, and clean easily. Part of the idea was to get extra insulation for when we use our Troll in the early winter.

What stopped us was some concern about the weight it would add to the van as they are quite substantial. It might be worth checking the weight of your's, although if it is a thin layer it shouldn't be too heavy.

Would it be easy to remove if you got fed up with it or repair if it got damaged?

Just some thoughts

MikeT

eribaMotters and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:55 pm
by Lost Nomads (deleted)

Thanks Mike,
I don’t think weight would be an issue as the planks I’m considering are only around 2mm thick but I shall work it out as it probably will weigh more than I imagine.
You make a good point about removal - I don’t particularly want to use adhesive but that seems to be the only option to guarantee there’s no movement once the floor is down.
Appreciate the response.
Cheers
LN

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:54 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Are these vinyl planks? I put some of these in our narrowboat (without adhesive). (precisely Aqua Plank Casablanca Natural Oak Click Vinyl Flooring ). They are ok, but the joints do tend to pull apart a little in very cold weather. They usually close up when the weather is more clement. I havent noticed any buckling in very hot weather (British hot weather that is).
Ideally, the edges don't want to be trapped which may prove to be tricky for a neat installation in an Eriba. The ones I used were fairly heavy but for the quantity you would need in an Eriba, you would probably be looking at 10 - 15Kg at most.
These people do free samples.
https://www.factory-direct-flooring.co.uk/brand/aqua-plank

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Last edited Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:55 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:59 pm
by Lost Nomads (deleted)

Thanks Steve,
That’s really helpful... the more I look at the existing floor the more I’m thinking ‘yeah... that’ll last a few more years’. :-)
Have a good weekend
LN.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:31 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.322 Posts

How old is your flooring and is it damaged in any way, also some photos would help.
If it is showing signs of age and general dirt then I would suggest going to a contract flooring suppliers or doing an internet search for suitable cleaning and rejuvenating products. The likes of Amtico, Kardean, Polyfloor, Dalsouple etc are good quality rubber/vinyl floors and worth looking up for such products.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:10 pm
by Lost Nomads (deleted)

2004 Colin - we’ve had the Troll since 2007. It’s been well used - rejuvenating the floor is a good option. Thanks for the product suggestions.
Have a good weekend.
LN

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105750 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6