RE:BIP Charger unit

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:04 pm
by Southbourners (deleted)

Hi
We have a 2008 430 Triton purchased in the spring (and just out of warranty!) It has a BIP combined circuit breaker with power pack (ref30.65.100.34).
Having returned the leisure battery to the unit after trickle charging it with a portable charger over the last month I then hooking it the caravan up to 240V over Christmas. I checked the battery voltage when connected to the BIP unit. The on charge voltage (no extra load) reads 12.67. This doesn't seem to change discernibly if the mains is off or on. I had expected to see >13v on charge and around 12.7v off charge. I then checked the charger output with no battery connected, reading 17.4v with no load (a bit high?). On charge the battery is drawing a negligible 4ma. I've checked the calibration on the multimeter, all correct.
This doesn't seem right, I would rather fix any issues now than risk having a problem when we are away from home.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks
Julian

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:55 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Charger should show 13.7V (+/- 1V) when van is connected to mains.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:06 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

17.4V with nothing connected would be normal as there is no load. Conversely, a very high load would drag the voltage down, so nothing wrong there. The fact that you are seeing that 17.4 V, presumably measured at the battery connectors, would indicate that the inline fuse is OK.
There could be a problem with the electronics in the BIP unit which is not sensing the battery properly.

I have a 2007 Triton and was not happy with the BIP battery charging. I have since by- passed the charging section of the BIP and installed a CTek smart charger.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0