Pop-top ‘Headlining’ - 1989 Eriba Duo...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 pm
by Phil999 (deleted)

F1742942-9DFA-4253-ACEF-63C92DEEAC00.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Hi all,
We have a 1989 Eriba Duo.
The headlining board (probably not a great description - I’m trying to describe the large board above your head in the pop top, which, from memory is about an inch thick), has departed company from the fibreglass shell above it. Everything else to do with the pop-top is fine, the canvas is great, with no rips etc, the scissor action of the roof mechanism works fine etc.
I can see that originally, the two parts were stuck together with strips of fibreglass around the perimeter of the roof.
Has anyone successfully glued these two parts together?
I’m thinking about applying glue between the two parts, then using 4 or more props inside the van to hold the parts together while the glue is drying.
If you have successfully done what I am trying to do, please could you tell me what glue you used?
Many thanks,
Phil

Last edited Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm | Scroll up

RE: Pop-top ‘Headlining’ - 1989 Eriba Duo...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:57 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

I haven't done that repair but I would guess that a heavy duty impact adhesive (Evil Stink?) would do the trick. Coat both surfaces, allow it go tacky then carefully bring them together.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

RE: Pop-top ‘Headlining’ - 1989 Eriba Duo...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 pm
by Randa france | 12.878 Posts

Hi Phil and welcome to Eribafolk
This problem has arisen on a number of occasions and this is what we have sort of established.

Firstly, please read this thread:- Pop Up Roof Issue on My Bali

What is apparent is that 80s Eribas had a different way of fixing the roof lining to 90s Eribas and we think the modification of using a larger unequal angle from 90s models onwards was because of a fault that was manifesting itself on Early Eribas.
As you can see, the unequal angle also clamps the top rail of the canvas down which in turn is fixed to the headlining.

Most people with the problem you are seeing have managed to fix it by taking the roof off and re-gluing the roof components together. Not sure which glue they used but there is much talk about Gorilla glue at the moment.

One owner took his roof to a garage or boatbuilder who worked with fibreglass every day and got them to re-stick the roof.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Eribaphil99 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:14 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105730 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2