Kampa Pro Air

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:41 am
by Edna III (deleted)

Hi

just wondering if anyone has got one of the Kampa Pop Pro Air awnings and their thoughts on quality etc. I was looking at them last night night and was quite hooked but then read some terrible reviews regarding leaking, rotting fabric due to UV exposure and exploding air tubes.

Has anyone experienced any of these alleged malfunctions?

Ray

60th Edition 530 being eased along by VW Tiguan
Scroll up

RE: Kampa Pro Air

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:40 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi Ray

We got one of the first runs of the 365, think in early 2017 for our 540GT and so far we have had none of the things you mention.

However as I have said many times before on the Forum we have a real love hate relationship with it. At its best it is brilliant and has withstood some horrendous wind and rain & remained intact.

However for our height of van it is a flawed and ill thought out design. Our nadir was trying to pitch it on an uneven grass plot in Aberdaron when the air poles just kept bending resulting in a doorway that I had to crouch to get through - it nearly ended up in the site skip until my wife reminded me how much we had paid for it.

I have never liked the fact that on later vans like ours the awning slopes right down and doesn't look that it was made to fit. The other issue is that the 365 is very heavy and quite hard to hold up as you are putting the final bit in the rail. However it does come down very easily. I wonder if most air beam awnings are on the heavy side?

I believe that the newer model (I think from 2019) is a much better design and has a number of interesting developments.

It has to be said as well that before the Troll we were tenters and we were used to top a top-end Outwell Bear Lake where everything just fitted and was well-designed. I was one of those who contacted them asked for a front extension and lo & behold withing a year they came out with one that was excellent. Don't see Kampa as in the same class, although they do design some lovely looking air beam tents.

I guess with awnings it is so personal and you have to do your research to check that it i exactly what you want. I certainly would not discount the PopAirs as on balance we have had none of the above problems, and it has served us well on flat hard-standings.

Happy hunting

MikeT

Last edited Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:42 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Ray,
I owned one of the first Pop-Air's and have experienced none of the issues regarding leaking, rotting fabric due to UV exposure or exploding air tubes.
The first awnings did not correctly fit post 2010 vans [such as yours], with many examples pulling out of the awning track at the ends. Kampa took my awning back and fitted a new awning chord but this did not work and Lowdhams took it back for a full refund.
I subsequently bought the [secretly] improved 2019 onwards model and the earlier issues have been addressed. Last year we used ours for about 5 weeks. The awning from some angles does seem to sit strangely, but I would have no reservation in buying another. If you could wait a couple of years Vango and Isabella might get there acts together, but at present there is no real new alternative for size, price or materials that is blow up. On a Triton upwards It is perfect for two with space to spare for a guest or small children. Apart initial weight getting it into the track it is easy to pitch and quick to take down. The bag supplied is big enough to get it back into, the optional front canopy useful, model specific groundsheet excellent, storm straps a waste of time and gutter strip a disaster. The hose on the pump can fracture so be careful.
I expect you have seen these photos before, but here goes.
june 2019 - 1-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)june 2019 - 2-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)june 2019 - 3-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)june 2019 - 4-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Should you decide to buy one, a forum member has sourced a Triton model 340 from Red Lion Caravans for £799 which I believe is the cheapest you will find. I have read that the Troll model 365 you require is in short supply though.https://www.rlcaravans.co.uk/ If you contact them could you please mention this forum.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:48 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:09 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Colin

Whenever I see these photos of your Kampa I am always struck by how much better the new model looks than the original.

In my answer to Ray I had forgotten about the top of our air pump splitting. Ours split whilst we were trying to put it up on a quiet Burrs Park site at Bury. We couldn't find anyone around with a compatible pump and so had to take the awning back down.

We did get a replacement pump sent from Kampa but it took ages and a critical email before it arrived. As we had another visit arranged I ended up buying another which miffed me no end.

I like the fact that with the newer model you can get a sleeping extension that the grandchildren could use.... and the zip on canopy looks good.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:24 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Hi

I have owned one of the early models and the more recent facelift model. I have a pre 2010 puck and was happy with the early model. I think that most of the issues seemed to be with larger post 2010 Eriba's. The 'adjustments' that Kampa made to the new model have improved the fit to the van, as well as giving the sun canopy and annexe options.

I am very happy with this awning and have experienced none of the problems listed above. It is quick and easy to put up. Has stood up to some fairly heavy weather and generally the quality seems very good.

20200711_112930.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Ralph

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:25 pm
by Edna III (deleted)

Thanks both.

I have a Bologna at the mo....but was thinking of the kampa for wet weekends over here in the UK....at least it woulstand up in the garden to dry off if necessary.....or would it?

Ray

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:30 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

No. It does not stand independently as the back of the awning is held up by the caravan. When I dry mine in the garden I have to prop up the back with whatever comes to hand!

Ralph

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:34 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Hmm...why do my pictures always go upside down when you click on them !

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:32 pm

Ray,
for wet weekends I'd not bother with the Kampa as you would obviously have to dry it out and it's not free standing. We use a Sunncamp Swift Van 260. This is open fronted but we park our back to the weather. Soulbluesman, Mike, has recently bought the enclosed version http://www.sunncamp.co.uk/products/show/1756 and this is what I would go for if just looking for a couple of days.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:41 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

I have the older version of the awning and I haven't had any issues with it. The newer version which Colin has in the photos is much improved.

IMG_20200704_154656.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:44 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:53 pm
by Edna III (deleted)

Hi Colin

I have the Swift 260 (open fronted) but it never seems to pitch right.....could be that I'm anally retentive and want everything just so...perhaps I should be a little less critical/retentive

Ray

Last edited Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:55 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:35 pm

Ray,
the only problem I have is getting the front perfectly symetrical where the pole goes through the leading top edge.
I've learnt as with most awnings to line up the van connection so you can open the door easily, pull down and peg tightly against van, pull the front out so sides are at 90' to van, extend front pole assembly and peg front corners, do short returns across front, adust and repeg as needed. Ohh, the top will always flap round in the wind and the door just touches the underside of the roof so don't stress yourself over these.
5-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:38 pm
by Reddie (deleted)

We have one of the first Kampa Air awnings that we use on a 2000 Puck. It’s very easy to put up and take down. It has withstood some very high winds and heavy rain with no real problem. It did leak along the some of the seams so it was re waterproofed under warranty. That has been tested a few times this year and seems to have cured it

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:22 pm
by Davewhitfield (deleted)

I have the Pop Air Pro 365 must be the first generation. Kampa (Dometic) stated their is a modification to cut several cm from each end of the awning runner to stop it popping out of the awning rail. does anyone have these instructions? Ive emailed Customer Services to see if they can send me the instructions out.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:39 pm

Dave, in another post you said you had a 2019 Kampa awning. If this is the case it is the version 2 and you would not need to make the alteration.
If it is a version one then the attached is what you need to do. be warned though, it may well not answer the pull out issue.

Colin

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Pop Air modification.pdf Pop Air modification.pdf

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105657 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1