RE: Gas Locker Door Corrosion

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:54 am
by Stearmoth | 1 Post

Hi All,
We just bought an Eriba 310 from 2011. Unfortunately, the gas locker door has excensive corrosion. Can anyone tell me the exact way how to remove the frame of this door to replace the front aluminum panel?
Cheers Hans

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:05 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Carefully remove the soft fluffy gap filler. You will then see 4 small screws in the channel. Remove these. Then VERY carefully prise off the frame preferably with something non metallic to avoid damaging the frame. The frame will have to be reused and it is easily damaged but is only held on with sealant.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:18 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Hans,

Top half of frame removed

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20190323_161717.jpg 

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:38 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

After a bit of digging on the Eriba website I found this:-
https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/brand-identi...ba-brand-values Scroll down and you will find, and I quote:-
"Quality, which reveals itself in coherent forms, high-quality materials and sophisticated features."
If you scroll down the page you will find a form you can fill in:-
https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/service/contact
If I had suffered that water ingress damage on my Eriba I'd be filling the form in starting a "conversation"

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:14 am
by chezmart | 181 Posts

When I first noticed corrosion on ours probably about 5 years ago I contacted AL (now Leisure First) and Jandi. AL said they would not follow it up and quoted £1200 for a new door and Jandi contacted Hymer but Hymer very quickly denied any responsibility.. A new door through Jandi would at the time cost £1000.

On a recent visit to Leisure First I spotted they have a couple of 2012 vans for sale, both with serious corrosion on the locker doors. One covered in black vinyl to disguise it.
I would hope any potential buyer would spot this and have repaired before purchase.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:34 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Was it just that one model year? Any idea what they did, or didn't so, to cause the problem? Is it just a lack of drain holes? If enough problems exist and enough owners pursue them Hymer might well have to cave and accept fault? A class action, though a tad smaller :-)

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:44 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

It seems be just 2012 MY so some late 2011 vans are affected too. Hymer must have changed their sealing process for that year and reverted back for 2013.
Judging by the corrosion it was a problem all around the frame and even the lock holes. Lack of drainage holes just made the problem worse as the water had no escape. It would still have rotted out though.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:55 pm
by Richard | 15 Posts

Is there any evidence of mastic sealant between the aluminium edge trim and the panel? I can’t see any in the photographs. If not then water will inevitably have crept under the trim and into the panel over a period of a decade, with the results which we can see. I wonder whether this issue coincides with the ceasing of production at Cernay when Eriba went bankrupt and the transfer to Germany. I seem to recall that there were rumours of a certain bolshiness on the part of the French workforce, soon to become redundant, and a lack of cooperation with the new owners, Hymer.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:25 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

There certainly wasn't much in the way of sealant but I seem to remember there was some, obviously not enough around the frame.

I may be wrong but didn't production move to Germany in 2009?
The rest of our van is extremely well built and we've had it from almost new.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:56 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

I recall meeting the owner of a Puck L from the UK in France some years ago. He believed his van was one of the last to be produced in Cernay, a few days before Christmas 2010.
What I cannot get my head around is the fact that this is a known problem and Hymer will not correct the fault. The water ingress warranty might be 6 years and dependent upon a yearly check, but this is over-ridden in law when a product is deemed not fir for purpose. There is no time limit on this.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105701 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0