Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

A member of our Facebook Eribafolk page has just posted the following and I thought it would be useful to copy it here as well.

"As newbies who have just bought a 2017 320GT we are finding out how expensive it can be. We like hybrid cars because being retired most of our journeys are local and we only use electric but when we want to ‘go the distance ‘ we can do so without range anxiety .

So we thought towing with our Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV would be fine. It has a towing rate of 1500kg and the van is rated at 1050. However on our trip back to Cornwall from Norfolk you could see the petrol disappearing at an alarming rate ! Had to fill up 4 times ! Albeit this was towing through storm Francis so not easy ."

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

We met a couple ona French site a year ago who had owned this car. They got rid of it after experiencing 8/12 mpg whilst towing a white box.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:40 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.117 Posts

Thanks Randa

That's a really interesting post for us. Our Karoq Scout 4x4 is leased and we will be looking to change it within the next year.

We are thinking that we will look seriously at some kind of hybrid to replace it but obviously whatever we go for will have to pull our Troll with some enthusiasm and still return some decent mileage. As far as I am aware the four wheel drive has only kicked in once in the last 12 months so we might be going back to 2 wheel drive with some winter tyres or Michelin all season ones.

Oddly we have been a bit disappointed with our overall mpg, compared to our previous Octavia Scout 4x4, but it seems to give a better mpg when towing than the Octavia. They have identical 150 BHP Diesel engine & 6 speed box..............

It would be good for more posts like this one about hybrids and towing in the real world.

MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Mike, I still do not think a hybrid is the way to go. You tend to have a smaller petrol engine that had to work very hard once you are out of electric pier to haul a van. The result of this is very poor mpg. For the time being I think two cars is really the only way forward. A small electric for day to day and an old fashioned fossil fuel to tow the van.
If I had been allowed to go diesel a Mazda CX-5 would have been a candidate. I am however very pleased with the economy of my petrol 1.5 Audi. Near 40mpg is possible towing and it does have a 1500kg tow capacity. How about this engine in a new Octavia?

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
sibillini likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:22 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.117 Posts

Cheers Colin

Your Audi does look very classy. As part of the VAG group I'm sure Skoda would have a similar petrol engine to yours. The difference between towing our Troll and your Triton can't be very much.

We will probably start looking a bit more seriously after Easter. Skoda in Germany have marketed a new style Skoda Octavia Scout that looks very nice but Kath is taken with the added height of the Karoq.

We will see.

Mike

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:54 pm
by Yeadonblue (deleted)

Hi Folks, we used a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as a tow car for our Troll GT540 for the last couple of years, managed a few trips from Yorkshire to Devon no probs. However I did get a bit nervous towing in the Yorkshire & Derbyshire dales, the engine would scream like a banshee when going up Greenhow hill from Pateley Bridge and as mentioned by others the mpg was not so good, I think 15 - 17 mpg ish. That said it was a good reliable car / milk float, the 4x4 is also not bad for the occasional off road journey. Recently changed car to a Subaru Outback 2.5, just back from 2 week camping in France, 28.5 mpg whilst towing which is not bad in my book.

Troll 540 Touring shimmying along behind a Subaru Outback
Randa france and marmite like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:14 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

We tow 540 Troll with Kia Sorento 2.2 Diesel Auto and return 30-32 mpg usually in France or Spain. Driving solo we return 38-42mpg on journeys.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:46 pm

30-32 mpg, and you a poor pensioner. You must be crying into your conflakes each morning as your child bride hads you a tissue.

Colin

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:42 pm
by cruickie | 97 Posts

Hello Folks,

We've not that long ago returned from another enjoyable trip to France.
Outward journey to Auvergne area via Paris.
Return journey from Moulins, Auvergne via Paris to Aumale, Normandy.
Home, Aumale to the Netherlands.

Car: VW Golf GTE 1.4 TSI (204Hp) PHEV DSG
Torque 350nm
Caravan: Triton 410 High model

We set off that's me, the wife and our cocker spaniel.
The car had a full charge( I always charge to 80% of full capacity and on normal house charging facilities)
Full tank of petrol, 40L. Set the DSG in E-Mode and added regenerative braking

We set off at about 03:00 am, out of town onto the motorway, set the adaptive cruise control to 90 kph (maximum for towing Netherlands)
Once over the border and into Belgium, reset to 105 kph.

The journey went great until we hit Paris, the wife insisted we turn off the GPS as she had found a nice route on the internet. There she was with a map in hand giving instructions, wasn't long before I heard take the next left, no second left, sorry, meant go right, we're lost. That was it spent some time admiring the back seedy streets of the city, even made a few U-turns. Didn't take long to realise that Paris was a hilly city. I turned the GPS on and before long we were back on route.

The first camping we arrived at I thought would be empty, wrong, it was full. The only pitch with electricity was one with 2 amp, no chance of charging the car.
I did intend to record the car's MPG on arrival but forgot.

The car always had at least 4 kilometres distance of charge showing with the regenerative braking and always set off in pure electric mode.

I recorded the mpg from this camping to Normandy.
Results: Left without charging the car, but with a full tank of petrol. On arrival at the camping in Aumale (Camping le Grand mail) The car gave 8.1 L/Km. about
34 imp. mpg and I hadn't been driving like a vicar.

To summarise: When I'm at home and I'm driving short distances about 20 miles or so, don't use petrol as I put the car on charge at home.
If we go on a long journey solo, it does about plus 75 miles to the gallon
Towing in hilly areas about 34 mpg

All in all a very capable vehicle. I've only had it in GT mode four times and only for short distances, (showing off) it's a beast.
The cars that I have been interested in were the PHEV Kia Niro, Kia Optima and Mitsubishi outlander. I was warned away
from the Mitsubishi at the beginning of my search. Good reports from owners of Kia, but went for a test drive in the VW first
and that was it,
If I was living in the UK I probably would have gone for the VW Passat PHEV as it looks in my opinion more mature and fitting
for an OAP like me

eribaMotters, Randa france and Eribanut like this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:43 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:05 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Hi Alan. Did you record the performance of the car on solo electric when in hilly France? It would be interesting to see how much of a performance/range difference there is between your regular flat driving in the Netherlands and driving in hilly countries.
Ranad

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:42 pm
by cruickie | 97 Posts

Hi Randa, I now know I should have done, but didn't. I do know that it was very, very economical.
Alan

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105699 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4