Car Insurance

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Looking to renew car insurance. We were insured with RAC what a nightmare! Still trying to get my Excess £250 back after 8 months since 2 guys slammed into the back of my parked car in the early hours of a Monday morning and then legged it. Driver has since been to court and prosecuted for Failing to stop/report an accident and careless driving.
I am now having to fill out numerous forms with Minster Legal to reclaim the £250.
Insult to injury is RAC upper the premium by £85 so have cancelled renewal.
Have noticed on looking at polices however that if driving abroad (EU) on fully Comp Insurance you are only covered 3rd party unless you pay extra, Some Insurances do not cover you at all outside EU!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

RE: Car Insurance

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Mike,
This year and last I went through GOCompare. The "We pay your first £250 of excess" attracted me [does not count if in Europe].
Last year I was directed to Sainsburys and this year it is Ageas.
I contacted both prior to accepting the quotes to clarify driving abroad. I was told that my Fully Comp cover applied to European travel up to 90 days, whereby it would drop to atleast the minimum required where travelling abroad. I could however pay a top up to get back to Fully Comp if I wished.
It would be worth trying the website and then contacting a couple of the companies directly.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:27 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

LV are worth a look if you need European cover. Up to 180 days fully comp + £85 for UK and European Breakdown Cover which worked well for Elsie. The breakdown cover is through Britannia Rescue who they own.

Saga also cover European travel as standard I believe.

Charlie

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:54 pm

Don't forget to read the small print on the recovery breakdown. If the van is not attached to the car at time of breakdown it will not normally be brought back to the UK. Also if the problem lies with the van and not the car it will also not normally be brought back. This is why I take out the C&MC Red Pennant even though my car is still under warranty and has full European cover.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Steve and Debbie and cabbie37 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:11 pm
by sibillini | 236 Posts

I have read the small print and am aware of the probability/cost/benefit. One pays ones money etc.

C&MC is ridiculously expensive for European travel for the sort of trips we do. ADAC (if one can still get it after the 1st January) would be a better solution perhaps but we have found LV very good.

Charlie

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) + Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Red Pennant with C&MC, 45 days multi trip, as many as you like over 12 months, car, van, 2 adults medical and personal insurance = £350.
If you time in correctly then you could get two holidays one year and another the following year, so 45 days all singing, all dancing cover for less than £120 a trip, which isn't all that bad.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0