Hello Everyone - we need some advice

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:53 pm
by Adeana (deleted)

Hello Everyone
Thank you or letting us join. We have been caravanning for over 30 years and have now decided to buy our first Eriba Troll. I have a question to ask before we make the purchase.
The van we are looking at has a slightly warped panel (bulge) below the bathroom window. It starts from under the window to the centre trim. Has anyone ever come across this before and should we be concerned?

Would be grateful for any advice. We love the van but do not want to be buying something that needs serious work doing to it.

Look forward to hearing your views.
Kind regards
Adeana

Eriba 20200928_135151 (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: Hello Everyone - we need some advice

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:59 pm
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

Personally, I would walk! If you have the slightest doubt about anything, move on. There must be plenty of s/h Trolls about. Keep searching for your ideal one.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Eriba bodywork panels do wobble in appearance. This is especially notiecable on the newer silver bodied vans and on the longer panels of a Troll and my 2007 552 had this. In itself this is not a corncern although it just does not look nice. What you show appears to be more pronounced and over a shorter area. If there is no interior damage, you can have the van inspected for water damage and moisure levels checked then I would walk away from it.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:18 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I would agree with Colin. From the colour scheme of the van, I think you are looking at something roughly the same age as mine (2002, also a Troll) and the panels are never totally flat and will vary a litle depending on the temperature and if it is standing in full sun, etc. The damp check will be the most revealing test you could do, I think. You could also ask (and examine to see) if the previous owners ever used the shower..

Having just looked at my service records, damp tests show scores between 7 and 11 round this window (over several years, varying each year) and the shower has never been used (AFAIK). That might provide a bench mark reading...

hth....

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Hi Adeana and welcome to Eribafolk

As Colin and Hugh have indicated above, the important thing to find out is whether the area of that panel is still watertight.

To give you an idea, Eriba panels are very thin and can be deformed by the merest of touches. Below is a photo of our van immediately after it had been "leaned upon" by the rear scaffolding/step of a bl**dy campervan.

bulge.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The deformation is noticable but not as much as a smooth skinned van as our van is a dimpled finish. It still remained watertight.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:10 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:23 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Hi Adeana and if you don't settle on this van don't let it put you off looking for another there will be on out there with your name on it .

Tom and Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:51 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Adeana

Welcome to the site from a fellow Troller

I am absolutely no expert but it just doesn't look right, especially being on the outside of the bathroom area. It feels suspiciously like there has been some damage from water. if you buy the van it becomes your problem.....................especially if you then decide to sell.

What has the seller said to explain the damage? Have they offered to have it sorted before you buy?

My instinct would be to err on the side of caution and probably walk away.
MikeT

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:07 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Hi Adeana - as suggested by Colin the ripple appears to be cosmetic and probably looks worse than it is.

Water ingress would not cause that effect in that area under the washroom window - the material inbetween the internal wallboard and the outer skin is expanded polystyrene sheet which, even when soaking wet, wouldn't expand or bulge out to that extent.

Any appreciable water ingress is usually evident by staining on the internal walls.

If you're keen on the van it may be worth asking a mobile engineer to carry out a pre-purchase inspection for you.

Last edited Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:13 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:11 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:14 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:59 pm
by granddadgrape | 1.562 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm
by Stan Doori | 214 Posts

Thought for the day - hmmm......
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:17 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi
My Troll is a similar vintage 2001, non of my sides are completely flat and when we go abroad and it gets hot I am sure they flex slightly. As long as they are water proof you'll be alright. I would definitely check out wether the owner has used the shower, not something that I would advocate.You could use this as a bargaining tool. Hope you find what you want.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Volvo V70 R AWD
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:52 pm
by Adeana (deleted)

Hello Everyone
Thank you kindly for your messages and advice which have been extremely helpful.
After a long debate we have decided to "walk away". We are now on a mission to find our perfect Troll 540. If anyone knows of one coming up for sale we would be grateful if you could let us know.
Many thanks again for your help. We will let you know when we have found our Troll. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Adeana & John

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:29 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I sent you a PM yesterday. Have a look for your forum name underneath the "ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE" banner, over to the right.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0