RE: Sunncamp Swift Verao 260 Low Initial Findings

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:42 pm
by Ianrow | 50 Posts

Hi
We are thinking about buying the Sunncamp 260 low for our Triton as fair weather/ short stay alternative to our existing Unico Verona awning.
Re the flapping side walls issue. We have two "bumper cushions" with our Unico awning .They attach to the awning fabric with velcro and help to make a more wind proof seal with the sloping sides of the van. I wondered if you think there is enough spare fabric on the 260's side walls to attach velcro so we could use the Unico cushions.?
Regards,
Ian

2002Triton 420 GT & Ford C max 1.6TDI
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:08 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Hi Ian.

As you can see from above we used "swimming noodles" to do the same job so asking the missus, she thinks there should be enough give to attach velcro.
The sides without the noodles touch the van so with the noodles or in your case the bumper cushions between the van side and the awning side it'll give you that little bit of extra loose fabric.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Ianrow likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:35 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

i didnt have any problem with the sides flapping last year: I made sure there was good tension on the ground anchors to hold the awning sides taught against the sides of the van by placing the anchor point slightly underneath the van before driving the anchor pins in. If I do find they resonate in the wind I'll probably try fixing some 15mm pipe insulation tubing along the edges (the foam type with longitudianal slits already made).

I did find there was pooling on the roof when it rained however. I don't like the idea of a roof pole that could pierce the awning or scratch the van (or even snap in half) so I have just bought an airbeam bracer. This has velcro fasteners on each end. I just need to figure out a way on how to utilise the D rings that are already sewn in to the awning (the front one is to hold the front door curtain when its rolled up).

Will advise when Ive sorted the design

Randa france, SOULBLUESMAN68 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun May 09, 2021 5:41 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

So, here's the design.

I bought some 50mm-wide velcro (loop) and attached a 65mm length of it to the tabs already sewn into the roof of the Vareo (picture 1)

1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

These tabs have rings attached to them and are used to clip the inner bedroom to (picture 2) - Velcro attached to one tab at the front of the awning and one at the rear on the the awning rail.

2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The Velcro was attached using double-sided tape

I bought two 11mm dia wooden toggle buttons (with two holes pre-dilled in each) and then sanded down both sides on each by about 1.5mm

I then threaded a 3mm cable tie through the two holes in the toggle and then through the pre-sewn tab sewn into each end of the Vango airbeam (1.9m long) - (pictures 3 and 4).

3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) 4.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The airbeam has Velcro loops pre-sewn into each end of it (picture 5)

5.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The airbeam can then be connected by mating the Velcro hook and loop tabs to each other on each end of the airbeam and then inserting the toggle on each end into its respective loop (picture 6)

6.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Picture 7 shows the Velcro tabs connected with the toggle not inserted into the Vareo loop

7.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Next step is to test it when I go away next friday: will advise how it performs

Rgds

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Sun May 09, 2021 6:17 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 10, 2021 5:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Thanks JCh will look forward to hearing how well it fairs in the rain.

Sods law is you will get a dry couple of days........................

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 20, 2021 5:03 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Well: the design was a bit of a flop. I couldn't blow the airbeam up enough so it sagged into the into the awning rather than holding the roof up (not helped because it was slightly too long also).

However, when installed vertically like a pit prop between the floor and the roof it worked rather well in keeping the rain from pooling:)

Back to the drawing board:)

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 20, 2021 6:48 pm

If at first you don't succeed.............

We'll be trying our idea out at the end of next month.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri May 21, 2021 5:43 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

"We have 4 qty pool noodles on their way to us, each is 1500mm long. (thanks to a sound idea from Colin, Fishcultureman)"

- Thanks Roger, been off the radar for a while and didnt get reading this. Mrs FCM takes the credit for that idea :)

Last edited Fri May 21, 2021 5:49 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:22 pm

A very successful first time out with our recently purchased and modified Sunncamp Verao.

The side panels with added noodles worked famously and I would even recommend them for other awnings. The shock cord to tension them was perfect and there was little or no side flapping throughout the 12 days although we experienced some blustery and wet conditions.

The addition of a carbon fibre folding pole for the roof worked OK too. Although it's about 50mm beneath the roof curve, once the weight of water bears down on the roof, the pole splits the pooling and the breeze does the rest so no big gumboils of water to contend with.

Finally and because we have a 530, we can build the awning as far foreward as possible and the Eriba door will fold back upon itself so doesn't take up any space in the awning.

IMG_1391.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_1473 b.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_1472.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_1473.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Last edited Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:26 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:42 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

It all looks good Randa from the photos.

We put ours up in Knaresboro last week and sods law it blew up a gale just as we got it on the awning rail. Never took us so long to erect it though.

Last time we put it up the awning went right to the floor at the front where the zip out canopy is but this time we were a bit like your third photo but worse, as the wind was blowing straight at it. We solved it by altering the pegs at the front and moving the skirt slightly back towards the van. we then supplemented this with the traditional trick of filling two carrier bags with stones from the hardstanding and weighing the skirt down. It worked a treat.

Again it came up with the goods for us and we still like it. Next month we are going to a very windy Walney Island and will revert to the more robust Kampa Popair.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:24 pm

Yes, I think we got the front shape a bit wrong and didn't have the instrustions with us.

A chap in a small Freedom caravan nearby had the same awning except it was a high roof and he got the shape correct so that the front didn't ride up too much.

It didn't present us with a problem though as we had the front open for much of the time.

Randa

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:11 am

I can see where we went wrong now.

I had it in my mind that the front of the Sunncamp was shaped but it is flat fronted with the windows each side of the front door on each side. We had the front pulled forward a little. I was mixing it up with the Vango which has an odd shape.

Randa

Last edited Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:13 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:07 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Now then,
Just_Chilin has got me thinking. I've bought a similar blow up Vango version awning and I'm pre-empting the possible awning to van sides gap.
Noodle pillows are posh but pipe insulation is cheap and available in 2m lengths. Only problem is the foam does break down. Noodles foam is very robust and some of them come in 1.6m lengths, are larger in diameter and have a hole in them like pipe insulation.
Conclusion, if I can source such noodles and make the slit down the side (neatly) then this would be good way forward.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:27 am

1.6 metres is about the correct length to get you from the awning rail to the skirt rail.
Randa

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

So who can find me a supplier of said noodles, 1.6m long with a hole down the middle, in blue grey or black.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2