Land Rover Defender 90, shocklink thoughts.

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:04 pm
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

I’ve been sorting out my defender 90 ready to pull our first Eriba ( triton, troll ) which hopefully I’ll find in December / January.
Tow ball height etc sorted but now I’ve been reading about the chassis being too stiff for caravans and people using a Shocklink damper and they aren’t cheap.
Any Defender 90 owners feedback would be appreciated, I’ve towed a few commercial trailers and never had a problem.

Scroll up

RE: Land Rover Defender 90, shocklink thoughts.

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:35 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Ronnie, seems a strange thing " chassis being too stiff for caravans ". I'd have thought you want to hook your van up to something solid. The van has suspension so can cope with bumps and movement that is transmitted through the hitch.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Ronnie likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:31 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Is it because your 90 has a ladder chassis? I have a 2020 Suzuki Jimny with a ladder chassis (about the same size an 88) and it doesn't pose any issues..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Ronnie and GT runner like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:46 pm
by John Cross | 263 Posts

Can't say I have ever heard that one before, I have seen loads of Defenders pulling caravans.

Troll 540 Nissan Terrano 3.0 or LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane

Ronnie likes this post!
Last edited Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:28 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:48 am
by JefL | 95 Posts

Oooh, HUGE can of worms.
If you google shocklink there are all sorts of arguments going on. Some (1 at least) WWB manufacturers have refused warranty claims where leaf sprung towing vehicles have been used without a shocklink. Then at least one towbar manufacturer has stated that adding a shocklink will invalidate their type approval.
Insurers have said don't fit one as not type approved. WWB manufacturers recommend one with leaf sprung ladder chassis vehicles.
So, fit one and invalidate your type approval and possibly insurance in the event of a claim, or don't fit one and risk invalidating your warranty.

So glad my Landy has coil springs.

It would appear though that if the caravan manufacturer doesn't recommend one you are OK without. I don't recall seeing anything in Eriba manuals or brochures about this so maybe it isn't an issue with Eribas.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:29 am

Would the situation imply towing with a "normal" vehicle is the best thing to do. I know my uncle tows his 1500kg Wobbly Box with both a V8 diesel Range Rover and an E'class 350 Merc diesel. He says the Merc wins by a country mile.

Colin.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:05 pm
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

Newer defender, so coil springs.
Spoke to a LR owner and he doesn’t have a problem towing.
Leaf Springs maybe but coil springs ok.
I’ll forget the shocklink and just make sure the tyres pressures and nose weight is right.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:17 am
by Angie and Steve | 165 Posts

From where I'm sitting I can't really believe that anyone is at all concerned by the stresses associated with towing as light a load as an Eriba (of whatever size) behind a Landrover.

Or have I missed something??????

Is the Landrover somehow going to damage the caravan?

Folk round where I live pull all sorts of stuff everyday with Landrovers and don't loose sleep over it!

Steve.

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Last edited Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:19 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:07 am
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

Wow, I forgot how when asking (to me) a normal question on a forum could create such a reply with all the !!!!! And ?????
I won’t post anything further to keep Steve happy.
Thanks all.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:39 am

Don't worry, it's like most forums. I've usually found if you get enough answers a balanced solution will eventually form.

Colin

FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:49 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

I suspect that this has been an interesting topic to many folk, whether they be Land Rover owners or not. During my days of ownership I never thought to ask the question so your question Ronnie, has opened many peoples eyes and has opened discussions on and off the forum.

I was only talking about it yesterday to my neighbour who has an 06 Landrover. He tows all sorts of Ifor Williams trailers with it but his pride and joy is his Eriba Puck L.

I think that may be the reason for the ????? and !!!!!! and has given many people food for thought.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:22 am
by JackW (deleted)

Last edited Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:32 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:28 am
by JackW (deleted)

I have towed three different Eriba caravans with my Defender 90 with absolutely no issues - two Pucks and a Triton. I've also used a couple of Discoverys (3 & 5) a Range Rover and a new 110.

BMCD21-001.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2eZero likes this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:30 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:57 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hey Mr PopTop, I was just wondering how you are getting on with your new 2020 Jimny ?? Is it fun ??, AND what size Eriba do you tow with it. I have just ordered one and can’t wait to drive it, and hope with will tow a 310. Thanks, Robbie

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0