Need an awning for a Troll 540

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:14 pm
by BuffySilk (deleted)

We have just exchanged our Familia for a Troll 540 from Leisure First. It isn't new (2013) but it hasn't an awning. Our old Familia had a Eurotrail awning that was lovely and easy to put up. We don't know anything about air awnings but I imagine they are quite heavy to get on to the awning rail.

Having spent most of the day looking at photos and dreaming of our new adventures which hopefully won't be on our drive next year, I am in more a quandary.

Is an air awning better than our old awnings pole system?

We tend to go away for a short time and hopefully often. I have to stand on a box to reach the awning rail so don't fancy that and pulling a heavy awning.

Any ideas that don't break the now empty bank?

Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Need an awning for a Troll 540

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:39 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Air and frame are about the same weight, but air are heavy to get into the rail. This is because in a frame awning half of the weight is in the frame, so 1/2 as heavy to get into the rail. Air are a little quicker to set up, but there is not a lot in it. To take down they are however far quicker.
As you want something quick for short stays then it is worth looking at this thread :- Sunncamp Swift Verao 260 Low Initial Findings
I do not believe any one awning is perfect for all of your needs. We as many others do have an Isabella shadow as a quick sunshade. You would need a 3m. This goes up in about 5 minutes and if pegged correctly capable of taking fairly heavy rain. Others use a Fiamma Caravanstore. You would need a 310cm. We have one of these permanently on the other side of the van. As an alternative to our Isabella for when it is wet we have a Sunncamp Swift Van 260, which is an open fronted version of the earlier link. The Isabella and Sunncamp serve us well for short stays and at only a few kg each they live in the van. For longer stays we have a Kampa Pop Air Pro.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Eribanut, and like this post!
Last edited Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:41 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:51 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Doh thought I might have a buyer for our Superb Unico Bologna !!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Now that would be an exception. I have to admit I prefer the look of the Fortex I've owned, but the Unico is very adaptable. Use as a full awning or with front and sides out a canopy. You should add some more photos Mike. Unico Bologna Awning and sun canopy for sale. Pre 2010 Troll

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:48 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi Buffysilk

Colin is right about the air awnings weight for putting on the rail. You need two people and one of you does end up near the end of the process holding up quite a bit of weight. We have a Kampa PopAir for our 540 (amongst other things!) and over the years with practice Kath and I have found our own way of getting it up without killing ourselves and we are not in the first flush of youth to put it kindly. You just kind of find a way that works.A good dose of silicon lubricant does help......

Perhaps the other thing that is probably true is that air awnings stand up to windy weather well as the poles give a little with the wind and don't snap like standard poles can. But they are not cheap to buy.

Enjoy your choice as there are pros & cons to both and it is why a number of us have a collection of various awnings & canopies for different uses.

MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:56 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

A good dose of silicon lubricant does help......

Do you have it neat or with a mixer ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0