Rear bed arrangement on newer vans

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:33 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

During a conversation on facebook regarding the rear bed, a lady with a 2018 430 said that in her van the rear table has a knuckle leg and the table folds down to become a bed board.

I've often wondered why Eriba hadn't done this far earlier in the same way as the front dinette table is used to convert the front bed. What's annoying is that all the 2018 brochures seem to be promoting the fixed rear bed option but I've come up with a photo of a 2018 Familia rear dinette. However the table looks to be shaped or is it a trick of the camera?

2018 320 table.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Does anyone know when this was first introduced as it addresses the question of "what do folk do with the big table at night".In our case the big table has lived in the garage for several years.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: Rear bed arrangement on newer vans

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:21 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Roger,
I can see this working to make up a standard double on a 310,320,430,530 etc, but on a long sleeper such as 420 or 540 I think it would bow due to the greater length.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:22 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Looking at the photo both of the backrest cushions appear to be a single piece indicating that the multi function bed option has not been chosen therefore the knuckle leg table would be the likely solution for making the rear double. Our "big table" was exported to our loft when we purchased our 540 and has to the best of my knowledge continued to gather dust up there ever since. Personally I would prefer to have a knuckle leg table for the rear of our van instead of the monstrosity that was supplied.

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:23 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Can I catch a glimpse of a straddle bar on the RH dinette seat? That would make up the extra bit of length.

Denise & Phil

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:53 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

I agree with Colin on his point about the 540 longer bed set up.- it would have to be a heck of a length to act as a support the mattress across & along its length. This would then make i really cumbersome for normal use. Also I am not sure that it would take my weight. as well as the slats system does

Unlike Denise & Phil we love our large 540 table and wouldn't be without it- how do you fit double nines dominoes on a small table?

If we have one of the awnings up it resides in there all the time as a large dining table. But we also love it up in the caravan itself to create a big lounge area. It gives us a single lounger each to read or doze on and then the table is just the right height for our red wine and crisps to be within stretching distance.

When we have the multi-function bed up, if it is not in the awning, it fits in the under bed store. For us a perfect piece of design.

We do realise that we seem to be in a small minority with this view about the large table.

So much so that I'm thinking of starting an Eriba Multi-functional Bed Appreciation & Preservation Sub-Group

MikeT

marmite and rs540 like this post!
Last edited Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:37 pm

So the question still remains.

On recent models has Hymer adopted a drop down table/bed board for Eribas with conventional layouts? (310, 320, 420, 430, 530, 540) ? As Denise (Marmite) points out, the photo of the Familia I've posted above does in fact show a bent swing bar mechanism which always was the preferred method of setting up the rear bed.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:39 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

I can understand the mixed feelings about the 540 table. We have recently acquired but sadly not used yet our 2004 Troll 540, which has the table that is a real design error by Eriba. It has 4 elephantine steel folding legs, which you cannot actually get your own normal sized legs past to sit down. To their credit, the next year, Eriba changed the design to a single folding leg plus 2 legs at the other end, and other versions later with narrow legs that spread out with steadies on the floor. I have the storage strapped the the side of the wardrobe which is ok but ugly, as it looks as though you have instruments of torture hanging at the end of the bed. In our last van, a Triton, we found the simple one leg table useful inside and in the awning, so I have taken off the 4 legs, and replaced them with a folding adjustable leg purchased on line. I took the aluminium extrusion off the back of the detachable locker and screwed it on the end of the table, which now locates inside and out. The locker and legs are carefully stored in the garage. I am now looking into making a pair of L shaped plywood assemblies to hold the table under the slatted bed assembly; having seen a photo of this. There is a really useful sales list of mostly older eribas with internal and external photos, as they are categorised by date and model number they are very useful for restoration work. I will dig it out and post it.
Nick
;

Biljul likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:57 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

Further to my last post, the website I have consulted is www.eribacaravansales.co.uk. Eriba Caravan Sales is run by Tony Lloyd in Barrowford, East Lancashire, and his home page lists all the Eribas he has sold over what must be some years, each one with a set of photos, and ranging from the '90's to about 2012. For the Eriba historian, a very good resource.
Nick

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:04 pm

Yes, I agree and I use his website a lot.
R

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi Nick

Our 540 is a 2016 and by then they have gone to two lightweight sprung legs that fit neatly underneath and make it easy to carry and store. I stores neatly under the bed.. Not sure that I would like the previous designs.

Tony Lloyd not far from us and has a good reputation. He never had anything in we fancied when we looked at his site.

You are obviously a handy lad with all your modifications.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:14 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

Hi Mike, thanks, but I have to keep busy. Unfortunately, I can't store my table under the bed slatting unit because it is just too wide to fit without radical surgery. The space available is 585 mm, the table is 602 wide. Another photo of a later model suggests that the table is now narrower and more straight sided.
Nick

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Hi Nick
They have obviously changed things a lot and our table must be much narrower than yours.

When moving the table fits on the single bed on the sink side and is held in place securely by two heavy duty press-stud things. When we turn the single beds into a double by using the slats the table goes easily into the underbed storage area again on the sink side.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:41 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Mike,
does your table edge have the trim on it so it could be attached to the outside rail, or does it have a folding freestanding frame.
If it's the former, then when travelling both could be slid into the track in the front dinner. If you lift the seat cushion on the side opposite the door then the front dinner table leg can be folded at it's knuckle and this elbow effect sits nicely on the plywood seat base.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi Colin

Ours has the folding freestanding frame, which makes it perfect for using outside the van.

The heavy duty press studs that I mentioned hold the table firmly to the bed when we travel, and we have never had any problems with it coming loose.- not yet anyway.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:28 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

We have the freestanding table for our 420. After trying it out we decided to replace it with an aluminium roll top table which fits nicely between the seats and is a similiar size to the original. Its a bit like origami in aluminium but works for us. The original table stays at home and makes a really good sewing table.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105775 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6