RE: Eriba replacement Axle

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:02 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I'm a bit confused as to the lack of mention of the axle and associated parts, plus the concentration on the hitch and its assembly. I guess they want to make sure the hitch etc can take an increased load but I thought most of that stuff was pretty standard throughout a whole range of potential weights.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:34 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

When I bought the van, the front farings had been cut about to permit the mounting of a rather ugly bike rack. AT the time, I had the forethought to take some ohotos of various stampings and labelings that appeared on the drawbar. I have sent these to Al-ko this morning and will get the measurement they require later on today. I am hoping that all this information will give them everything that they need.

DSC_0145.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_4804.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_4807.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_4806.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

You never know, their records may give them all that is needed but that might be more hope than expectation..

Last edited Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:40 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:33 pm
by cdbe (deleted)

Hi, just a quick update on my axle upgrade, old axle off, new axle ready to go, adaptor plates made up, hopefully I'll have a go at fitting tomorrow!

IMG_20210620_193948367.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:21 pm
by cdbe (deleted)

Axle is on. A lot of fiddling about to get the central draw bar connected, spacer/mount bracket made up for the shock absorbers, 4 slightly longer mounting bolts for axle/chassis due to thickness of adaptor plates. Just need to torque everything up, fit and adjust new brake cables and reposition motor mover as new wheels are larger diameter.

cabbie37, eribaMotters and Sulphurman like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:16 pm
by cdbe (deleted)

Just been for a test run, all good. Lorry pulled out in front of me so quick emergency brake test passed with flying colours. New 14" wheels are massive in the arches and gave me a worry, on one side the tyre was just touching the edge of the arch. I thought something must be misaligned but couldn't see how when the mounting holes for axle and chassis haven't been altered, I checked a few measurements and all spot on so it turned out the arches weren't fitted that accurately (and half the screws were missing or loose) so they're all riveted on now.

Just need to remove the chassis ID plate now till I can figure out what to do about it. Fortunately it's not a legal requirement on a van of this age and if there isn't one the DVSA will just refer to the axle plate.

I will write a "how to" guide in case anyone is interested.

IMG_20210628_104736515_HDR.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

cabbie37 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:51 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

Crackin job. I see what you mean about the tyres looking massive. Clearance on our van is only about little finger thickness but I've not detected any rubbing.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:15 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Progress...

Today, after a little prompting, I heard back from Alko in Germany. The good news is they can carry out the upgrade for me. I was under the impression that I would have a replacement axle. Actually what will happen is that the existing axle can be re-manufactured and have the rubber inserts for the suspension unit replaced to cope with the increased load. I like this plan as it means that the old axle will simply be refitted and should be problem free. The cost of that work is €445. There will be additional costs for new wheels and tyres (5 stud instead of 4) which I must supply and, presumably a change to the wheel carriers to provide the 5 stud assembly. The former I have not yet researched or costed, the latter I have asked Alko to confirm and provide an estimate.

Given post Brexit customs issues, I have decided the best approach to this is to drive to the Alko service centre in Kotz (just short of Munich) and have the work done there. That will also then add the cost of them carrying out the work to the overall total. I would rather do that that get embroiled in exporting and importing the axle which requires reams of paperwork and is riddled with potential problems. I have a pal in Glasgow who is trying to return a vintage car engine to a chap in Paris he has worked on. He sent it off on a carrier 8 weeks ago, it is still stuck in some facility in Birmingham as the paperwork has unravelled round the process..

I'm having to juggle the relationship with Hymer and Alko, getting clearance form one to the other to get certificates for the work being done, but am persevering. I really don;t think that any retailer in the UK or even Alko UK would have got this far as it has been somewhat tortuous...

I'll put more info here as it comes. I am hoping (though not holding my breath) that I will be able to get this done in September/October assuming travel to Germany through Belgium or France is permitted...

Hugh

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:48 pm
by JHS (deleted)

Have AlKo stopped axle production in Southam? Why drive all the way to Kotz?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:58 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

ALKO UK will not or cannot supply, upgrade, rework an ALKO Europe axle. I tried back in about 2004 and hit a brick wall.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:11 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I hit a brick wall just trying to talk to Southam. I decided to go to Germany to make my initial enquiries and they have proved helpful and keen to help. I could continue to bang my head against a brick wall with Southam or drive to Kitz and get the job done..

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 pm
by Erik (deleted)

I think Fraser Brown might have been worth a shout, could also be cheaper.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

You may well be right, Erik, but my assumption is that Hymer would not have issued a new plate showing the upgraded weight. The process they outlined (and the one I am following) was quite 'formal' with very specific steps laid out. They will only accept the work done by Alko and it has required various certificates to be issued from Hymer to Alko authorising them to go ahead...

And if I were a buyer in the future and was told, 'Yep its a 1200kg axle, but the plate doesn't say that' I think I would be tempted to walk away ..

Just being cautious...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:16 am
by cdbe (deleted)

Great news Hugh, your perseverance has paid off. Regarding the wheels, the existing ones might be ok - when I ordered my axle there was an option to have a 4 stud hub (on a 1,350kg axle). The reason I changed my wheels was because I couldn't fine any information in the capacity of the existing ones (I think they were quite rare alloys) so I didn't want to take the chance. If you can establish the capacity of the existing wheels (my new ones have 800kg stamped on the inside) it might be worth asking alko if the existing hubs are up to it. Obviously the tyres will need replacing - as a spare part the hubs(2051) are £150+ each.

Regarding Fraser Brown Engineering, they could re-rubber this axle for £600, and they would guarantee an increase in capacity of at least 10% and possibly as much as 13% (clearly alko have more confidence going up to 20%) but they can't provide any paperwork.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:10 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Good news this morning. I have just heard back from Hymer that they will issue the clearance certificate to allow Alko to go ahead with the work. As I understand it, I will be issued with the new Vin plate at the same time. The cost of that will be €200. No mention has been made regarding any wheel upgrade. However, I will continue to research this and consider an upgrade if it proves necessary. For the time being, and the trip to Germany to get the work done, I am quite happy to continue with the existing wheels. When I went to Croatia a couple of years back, I know I was 1100Kg then (weighed before we set off) so I have scope. For the trip to Germany, I will be a single traveller, travelling light.

ALko Germany have told me they need a 6-8 week lead time for an appointment to do the work so my main problem now is picking my way through the Covid rules for travellers in Europe. That is compounded by the liklihood that in the period between making the appointment and actually travelling (the 6-8 week lead time) the rules are likely to change. One would hope that they may be relaxed but you never know. It looks like there will be a relaxation of rules regarding travellers from Europe to the UK (if news this morning is anything to go by) in the near future, hopefully there will be reciprocal easing of rules for UK travellers to Europe...

Hugh

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:18 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Given the recent thread regarding Hymer's refusal to permit axle upgrades etc, I feel a bit awkward posting an update here on this thread. This morning I have received my Clearance Certificate giving Alko sanction to go ahead with the work. I can now send this on to my new best friend, Joachim at the Alko Service centre in Kotz to arrange to have the work done. The certificate still mentions the wheels and tyres but seems to indicate that the final decision on that would be left to the equivalent of the German 'MOT' system for caravans, something I won't get involved with, of course(?). The tyres on my van are already 94T which exceeds the loading requirement, though these are on 13" wheels. I wait to see whether anything is said about that by Alko.

What I have to do now is navigate the minefield of Covid travel rules that are in force in all the countries I will pass through - France, Germany and my return to the UK.

Edit to add: Looking back through the exchanges I have had with Hymer, I queried the inspection by TUV right at the outset. Their reply was:

We are happy to confirm that you do not have to have the German Tüv inspect the vehicle.
However, in England there should also be a type of Tüv at which the technical aspects of the extra load should be approved.
The registration office acts independently of the brand.

As we don't have to inspect vans in the same way, I think I should be ok about the tyre loading issue.

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
eriba upgrade 001.pdf eriba upgrade 001.pdf

Last edited Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:53 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0