Losing the will to caravan?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:51 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

When we bought our first and only caravan in 2011 we rather naively looked forward to the freedom of the open road, of being able to just turn up somewhere at a time convenient to us and then relax in beautiful, tranquil surroundings. To a certain extent we have been able to achieve this but only out of season in France where we have had some truly wonderful holidays mainly on ACSI sites.

In the UK things have been less satisfactory as even out of season just turning up without pre-booking is risky, particularly in popular areas where pitches appear to have been block-booked months in advance. During the week it is not usually so bad but weekend pitches can be very difficult to find and hence stressful. It is this enforced lack of spontaneity and the high cost per night that we find so depressing.

According to the Caravan and Motorhome Club there has been an upsurge of van and MH purchasing this year and most owners are planning holidays in the UK - so things can only get worse. On top of this are the Covid rules and regulations that further reduce enjoyment. Our week in Cornwall in September last year was miserable, partly due to the wind and rain but also because of the restrictions on the use of the sanitary accommodation, the closed reception/shop and complete lack of interaction with the site owners and other campers. Compared with our experiences in Devon and Cornwall in September 2019 it was decidedly less enjoyable. I was shouted at by a railway Sturmbannführer for not wearing a mask while sitting on a platform bench waiting for a train to St Ives and getting the third degree from bouncers on entering Wetherspoon's in Falmouth was a decidedly unpleasant experience.

At the moment I am looking back wistfully at happy holidays spent in England and France in previous years, weighing up the prospects of trying to get away this year despite all the ludicrous restrictions and the almost inevitable Covid passports and thinking, 'do I really want to bother?'

So far as I'm aware the main Club sites are now open but their sanitary blocks remain closed. If this is the case, camping with an Eriba which is perfectly acceptable when all the facilities are available would become much less attractive than for those who have chosen the modern, fully-equipped wobbly white box or motorhome alternative and can be self-contained.

The question is, do we sit it out in the hope that things will one day become tolerable again; do we abandon the Eriba in favour of a better-equipped WWB or do we simply sell the Eriba and call it a day?

I'm sure I'm not the only user of this forum to entertain similar thoughts but perhaps I'm just feeling down after a personally difficult 2019/20.

I'd be interested to hear how others are coping and managing to remain positive.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:55 pm | Scroll up

RE: Losing the will to caravan?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:59 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

As you know Brian from our exchange of messages yesterday, we're both singing from the same Hymn Sheet.

Regarding wobbles, I've made no secret of the fact that once on a campsite they are far more comfortable and more roomy that an Eriba and if we were to give up touring abroad it would make more sense to get the wobbly to a UK campsite (under cover of darkness) and spend our days relaxing inside while the UK weather does it's best to rattle us. Would have to remove the Spanish Resorts names on the sides however and stop singing the Unicorn song.

The big problem is that Mrs R would never entertain it (yet). Also most owners still prefer to use the on-site facilities even with the restricted access. We saw that at all the UK campsites we used last year. Wobbly owners were asked to use on board facilities if at all possible but many didn't as far as we could see.

As for the M word it would take a miracle to get us in one as apart from the cost of owning one they are grossly unsuitable for touring the UK because of their size and the fact that most UK campsites are many leagues away from town centres etc. A bit different in France with their Municipal Campsites.

The guy across the road from us has bought a 2 berth Roller Team Campervan (MH) and it is nicely equipped and I could see us using it for long weekends away. Just jump in and go. It wouldn't suit us for longer holidays however. Each to their own.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

we are in a similar mode to yourself Aaron, we are member of CCclub and CMH club and my understanding of site booking with the Caravan and Motorhome Club is that ou are not required to leave a deposit so people block book site as soon as the season starts if the change their mind in the last minute they have lost nothing. Most club site have great facilities but like Randa said many people with WWBs wont use their caravan instead preferring to use the sites.
We went away last year during the break in lockdown and the Winderemere site we stayed at not many people took any notice of the regulation in place at the toilet/ shower block, and the wardens made no effort to enforce them. complaining just brought a shrug of the shoulders.

troll 530GT pushing Kia sportage awd
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:11 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

You’re not on your own Brian. We had a miserable week away last August in Suffolk. Again the weather but also no facilities so camp shower in the awning. Masks on and personal details handed over just to have a very socially distanced beer out in a pub garden. Masks on to buy a bag of chips then sitting freezing on a bench whilst we ate them. Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t have been happy without the mask and the hand sanitiser.
We haven’t booked anywhere yet this year. Our hope is that when the weather permits we will try and find a little CS/CL somewhere, if we can’t use the facilities what is the point of a Club site? The problem will be if the weather is bad as we won’t want to put the awning up in the rain, then we can’t shower. Back to the tent days of a strip wash and washing hair in a teeny tiny sink 😂
We’re living in hope that by next year we will feel comfortable enough to head over the water, I really hope so as I love my Eriba and don’t want to give it up but I can hear a little voice in the back of my head querying just whatI’m thinking 🤔

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Like you I'm cheesed off. 2020 was supposed to be our big year, 3 years into retirement, a big bungalow refurb behind us, 2 x 6 weeks European trips. It did not happen as we all know. Very careful planning meant we did get 3 weeks in late August/Sept and a few shorter breaks. I saw this as treading water in the very bad situation we were in. In hindsight this was a good result when you look at normal folk. 2021 shows a week down south and 2 weeks east coast, but again this has meant very careful planning. We still have Sept in France planned. I think this is still possible although my lovely wife is not so positive.Late summer/Autumn is to me the transition period. I see this this as a time when things will return to a not quite the same as usual past, but one where we can still look forward to our foreign trips.
Moving to a fully equipped motorhome for us is a no-go. I'm not wealthy and i do not like the lack of freedom thy offer. A wwb would also be a tall call. Yes they do offer greater freedom but I do not want a large car or feel happy with towing a large metal shed.
As regards facilities and costs in the UK. my first port of call is now a CL then small independent. In May & June we have 6 sites booked of which only one is a full C&MC site. So far all have facilities fully open with the exception of one in May that looks like it is toilets only.

Keep your sanity and your Eriba

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:48 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Now 'Steady the Buffs!'

Wot's all this defeatist talk I'm seeing?

We sold our campervan last July and swapped our Yeti for a Scala (v nice cars BTW).

Last year, absolutely nothing, except we moved house to a fabulous barn conversion with a lovely unique and crazy garden. Our double garage is a couple of minutes walk away on the far side of the barn development and has no power. We have a large drive at the bottom of the garden, so the car is kept nearby.

We want to get back to Eriba Tourings to allow us to holiday and allow me to follow Mrs SDA to her various holiday centres where she runs holidays for those who like to sing. No Roger, sit down, you don't qualify. Singing has been banned since about March 2020 and is off limits 'til at least June 2021. Apparently it's almost like using mustard gas to expel air from lungs and expectorate over people.

So, rather than think about de-Eribaing (perish the thought) we are looking to get back into a Triton 420. So please, please help us dig one out and let's get this show back on the road.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:53 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Adapt and overcome, we decided last year to use our Eriba toilet in full anger to overcome the covid ablution restrictions. We bought a second shower curtain and a short extending curtain rail to cover the back wall. To be honest it was the best move we made as we were no longer tied down to when the toilets were cleaned. The only pain we found that nowhere was open for a meal or drink..
We won't be selling our our Eriba anytime soon..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:04 pm

Frightening thought.

Motters just 3 to 4 years into retirement and I've been at it for 15 years. Gulp.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Mmm - a very sensitive issue Aaron has raised for many of us but I guess we can only read of other members experiences, process them and relate these to our own personal circumstances.

Like others the pandemic has hit our family very hard and we are trying each day to cope with our loss as best we can. I can see people's frustrations, which on some level we share, having stayed on 3 sites during the Covid related restrictions. The behaviour of thoughtless people perplexes and irritates in similar measure.

However for us our Troll and the promise of some level of future "normality" (whatever that means) is so important to us. The thought of getting back on a site and pitching the van, opening a bottle of wine, firing up the Remoska, in short doing the things we love, despite some restrictions & irritations, is something that keeps us going - a much needed shot of positivity.at a difficult time........................

Sorry if I sound like some kind of lay preacher. This is where we are at and I understand that other people are in a different place.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 am
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

Andy,
you haven't been around for a while so I'll post these again. We moved north, Essex to Merseyside end of 2017 as I still have family up here and it meant I could retire early due to cheaper property and do some travelling. Things did not really pan out well. We took on a bungalow refurb and big extension project along with groundworks in the garden. Soon after structure was up the builder went bust leaving me with a £10K+ bill to have the outside redone a couple of months ago. Prior to this I'd worked every day for nearly 18 months doing the internals on a total refit. I finished it just in time for our year of holidays and Covid struck.Every job that could have been done had been and I've been climbing the wall.
Next week we are off to Devon to visit our son and start looking for another house. This will be the last one. Although I not quite 60 yet I cannot physically cope with digging another 100 cubic meters in footings and groundworks.
I want and need my missed holidays. I've missed Europe and dream about that favourite riverside pitch in the Loire, the bread, wine, cheese, sun, swimming pool, but most of all the company of fellow campers.

1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)4.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 01, 2021 9:46 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Colin

I hope you don't mind me saying but what a brilliant job you have both done on the house...............dare I say worth the effort.

Good look with the new house search.in the sunny South.

Mike

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 01, 2021 10:02 am

Nice looking bung Colin, sorry to hear of the issues though.

We put our place on the market mid 2019 with a view to buying the place we're now in. But two weeks before we actually got a buyer this place went SSTC. So we cast around and found a new build bungalow on a biggish new development. Several weeks into buying the bungalow this place came back on the market, so we extracted ourselves from Kier's clutches and moved here last August.

8 Birches Farm Mews exterior.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20200921_153319.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20200921_152916.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20210422_171114.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

3de9c7a441f87624d0cae5adb426a868493d3f3a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 01, 2021 12:53 pm
by Frantone | 103 Posts

This talk of losing the will to caravan and moving house is very relevant to us as well.
A combination of serious circumstances had caused us to reconsider our lifestyle with the result that we decided to sell up and move into something smaller. Obviously this had ‘Eriba’ ramifications, meaning storage. We embarked on a massive decluttering and put the house on the market. It sold within 2 days and we had our offer on an apartment accepted. Everything seemed sorted but something didn’t click and we realised the change wasn’t appropriate. Still not entirely convinced it won’t happen at some point but certainly not imminently. So the Eriba came back from storage after only a couple of weeks (no refund of any part of the year’s fee!)
And life has returned to a more stable kind of strange normality (but with hugely reduced clutter) with the Eriba as a real focus of the things we love to do.
That’s the point really, Aaron Calder has described something that has probably lurked in many of our minds but in our case we will be trying very hard to get back to normality with our Eriba front and centre!

Last edited Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 01, 2021 9:18 pm
by Pip1136 | 68 Posts

Nothing daunted we have booked five weeks along the south coast in August and moved our two ferry bookings for Spain and France to to next year again, having moved them once already. We had six days away in our Eriba last year and enjoyed every minute. It is not easy to stay positive but us Eribans are made of stern stuff. I don't relish cold showers in the van but it still feels like luxury to have a loo and kitchen after years of camping in a small tent. Not had much experience of caravan ing in the UK but we live in a beautiful island with lovely people waiting to welcome us to their sites. I love being able to move freely from place to place in Europe using the ACIS book and hope to get back to it next year. Must agree having to pre book every inch of a holiday isn't what I am used to. Cheers and happy travelling everyone.

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

We have just had a week at the Mablethorpe C&CC site. All facilities except the elsan were closed (apparently reopening from 17th May in line with the next relaxation of the rules). We managed just fine and really appreciated having hot water on tap.
Having not used our Eriba since October 2019, we had of course considered the future but for now will be hanging onto it, and look forward to more trips in due course.
Made a great call taking down the awning the evening before we left as it was very dry, and lashing it down the following morning.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Aaron Calder and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1