Stupid question time

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 02, 2021 3:49 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

So, as I have been towing for some years now I thought I should maybe look at weights and stuff.
My Octavia 1.6 diesel estate says on the log book the following
Perm. Mass 1892
Mass in service 1322
Max. towable weight of trailer braked 1500

Does this mean I can pull a caravan ( in the UK) Weight
Unladen Weight: 1200kg is this the van with nowt in?

User Payload: 184kg is this the van with food and stuff in
MTPLM: 1384kg
Answers on a postcard to

Scroll up

RE: Stupid question time

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 02, 2021 5:00 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.007 Posts

Bryn, on cars the DVLA sometimes get weights wrong. Best place to check is the car's VIN plate which should be on a door frame (usually the driver's door). Biggest weight shown is the Gross Train limit i.e the most that the car plus any trailer attached can weigh. The second highest weight is the car's Gross Vehicle Weight, which is the max that the car is allowed to weigh. The other two weights are the limits for the front and rear axles.

If you want to know the empty weight of your particular car it features on the Certificate of Conformity page 2 item 13.2 'Actual Mass of the vehicle'. That's not a generic weight, it's the actual weight of your particular car as it left the line.

The car's payload will be the difference between it's mass as it left the line and it's Gross Vehicle weight limit.

The towing limit is normally specified in handbooks but it's also usually the difference between the Train limit and the Vehicle limit. The towing limit is arrived at by the manufacturer who warrants that the car can pull away on a particular incline with a trailer weighing that amount. It says nothing about the car's capability in controlling a high side caravan in a sharp crosswind etc. For this reason I always allow a safety margin of about 100kg on the towing limit.

If your car has a GVW of 1892kg and you are running on a 'B' only licence then the MTPLM of your caravan must not exceed 1608kg. If you have a B+E licence then that weight restriction doesn't apply.

A caravans payload is the difference between its Mass in Running Order (MIRO) and it's Maximum Technical Laden Mass (MTPLM). Eriba Touring MIRO's are based on very low rent standard specs but, generally they have very large payload allowances which will absorb the many cost options that tend to get added as a matter of course. If your van has a battery and charger fitted, that's 30kg, a spare wheel 20kg, a mover 30kg, the GT package 42kg, electric boiler 5kg, the list goes on and the weights are shown in the relevant year's price list. That short list above adds up to 127kg, so can very quickly make a dent in even a large payload allowance.

HTH

Bryn likes this post!
Last edited Sun May 02, 2021 5:00 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 58 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12536 topics and 105739 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3