RE: Gas fire stopped

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.306 Posts

The tin sounds like an idea. I was thinking of a soil pipe tube fitting screwed to the vans underside.
How about cut a hole in the top of this fitting and screw it to the underside of the van. https://www.toolstation.com/110mm-socket-plug/p28543You could then glue an offcut of soil pipe to it of the required length.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

monoboard likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 7:57 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

I think you're in danger of making an Airstream out of an Eriba MB.

I suspect that it was probably a combination of circumstances, involving the surrounding topography, high gusty winds, and the relationship between the angle of the van and wind direction. The chance of replication, whilst you need the heating on and are actually using the van are probably vanishing small.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 7:58 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

It’s going to be hard to get to the bottom with all the variables, I’ve had the eriba since July/August 19 & never had the problem before but I’d hate to be stuck somewhere for a week miles from home & no heating. I’m definitely going to be packing a electric heater !

Last edited Tue May 04, 2021 7:59 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 8:20 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

I totally agree but and that’s a big but I have sometime north of the border & I’d hate to be stuck with no heating but like I mentioned I’ll take a electric heater. I do wish my gas heater/fire had the electric element in it. It does seem crazy when they build the vans & the difference in cost at factory price must be washers. My old Abbey caravan from probably 98 or 2000 had a water heater that was both gas & electric + gas fire with blown air electric heating. My 2015 eriba 320 had no hot water system whatsoever & only a gas fire. I got the eriba dealer to add hot electric hot water ( would have preferred dual fuel but cost😱) along with a few other things. I don’t need or expect luxury but putting a pan on the hob to have a wash would have not been good. I tend to stay on quite cl sites as I hate theses places where there’s regimented caravans every 10 feet & statics. Rant over😂

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 8:37 pm

2021 cost option price list

Warm air blower £280

Ultraheat electric heating addition + controls £355

Truma Therme electric boiler, piping and taps £290

Total £925

NB buying an Ultraheat pack from a discount caravan online shop costs £299 plus £10 delivery and a Therme boiler is £150. I'd say that the factory fit prices for those are pretty good value.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm
by monoboard | 351 Posts

If I was buying a brand new one I’d certainly want gas & electric heating & hot water. But at the time I bought a mint 2015 320gt. Now being slightly wiser I’d change things a little but it is what it is.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 9:30 pm

A gas boiler is about £600, so a big difference to the electric version.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 am
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

I had a problem with wind , a few years ago we didn't have any chimney extensions. Whilst on site it was breezy but not overly windy and we found that it was almost impossible to light the gas fire and when it did light it would go out after a very short period.
We bought a couple of extension pipes to get the fumes over the roof and avoid the wind buffeting against the canvas and blowing the flame out. That did the trick and we have never had that problem again, although it now looks like we have a log burner in the van...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 06, 2021 11:00 am

Log burners - no point, no point.

These days you need a weight upgrade and a triple oven Aga.

Now you're cooking on gas, or maybe not.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105649 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1