Gas heater conversion to dual

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

This will of been asked before no doubt but I can’t remember. How hard & expensive is it to convert a truma s gas heater to dual gas/electric or is it cheaper to buy a new one? I know the cost would buy a lot of gas but it’s the flexibility of dual fuel

Scroll up

RE: Gas heater conversion to dual

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

I have fitted the ultraheat conversion to both my Eribas. The job is not difficult if you are fairly handy but drilling the wardrobe for the control unit was a bit scary on a brand new van. The kit is just under £300 to which you would have to add labour if you were having it done. The only difficulty really is the necessity to disconnect the gas flue to fit the element and getting it tested afterwards, a new o ring is supplied in the kit. I got over this by fitting my conversion just before a service was due so the flue was tested as part of the service. The instructions with the kit are fairly clear and easy to follow. The kit contains everything you need except the electrical connector for the mains. I used the Wago connector which lust plugged in to a spare way on the circuit under the wardrobe.
It's an expensive job if you pay for someone to do it when a cheap low wattage portable heater will do the same job. Eribamotters will be along soon to recommend which one.
We just like the convenience of the Truma conversion.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

If I was wealthy I would have done the same. If you are poor then a 500w oil radiator is the common solution. I managed to source a 500w flat panel ADAX radiator and fit it on the end panel of the sink unit, just inside the door of my 430.

11 - adax heater-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)12 - adax heater socket-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

monoboard and Doonhamer like this post!
Last edited Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 03, 2021 10:39 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

Colin,
If the radiator gets really hot does the worktop extension rise on a thermal?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 8:50 am

When we use the radiator I lift the flap up to keep most of the heat off it. The heat that hits the underside has not had any effect apart from warming up the metal bracket. I do usually walk into the shelf though in this position if going in and out of the van.
I was moved to having this set-up after contacting an ADAX supplier prior to purchase. Because of the design they said I could fix the unit directly to the woodwork of the kitchen cabinet without the mounting brackets. I compromised and made some round plastic spacers about 18mm in diameter and thickness. This gives me an air gap [which I do not seem to need] and draws the unit back so it does not project past the door opening line.With the unit plugged into the timer switch in the cupboard this works really well during that pre and post summer camping time. The radiator has a thermostat and using the timer I set it to come on an hour or so before we get up and to run from 6pm until late evening.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

I fitted an electric element to our gas fire some years ago and it it was all very straightforward.

This picture shows the wiring from the BIP unit to the fused switched spur. The orange cable that lies on top of the heater ducting supplies the element.

Electrics.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Since fitting the electric heater we have never used the gas fire and keep it simply as an emergency backup. As electricity is included in your pitch fee you can take full advantage and maintain a comfortable temperature at all times.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
monoboard, Stan Doori and Magpie like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 05, 2021 10:50 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

A quick question on converting gas fire/heater to dual gas/electric. with the usual Truma kits is there a fan ? just wondered if its just convection which i suppose would be quieter

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 05, 2021 11:00 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

The Truma fan is a separate thing and is an option, along with distribution trunking. It's not specifically linked to whether you have the electric heating element or not. So you can gave a gas Truma with or without fan and a gas/electric Truma with or without fan. Even if a fan is fitted, you don't have to use it. In my experience the heater body gets quite hot without a fan in use and unless the fan is turned up high it is almost silent. The fan has two options, one is for it to run at the speed you set and the other is automatic where it adjust the speed depending on how much heat is required, subject to the maximum speed you set..

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:22 pm
by Miniman | 20 Posts

Hi, having bought our 530 at the start of September and had 6 weeks tripping around France we are now ready to carry out a few mods . Our van is fitted with a Truma gas only heater, so am looking at the possibility, convenience and costs of the Ultraheat and the TEB3 fan kit to support autumn and winter camping.
Fitting the fan and the element looks to be fairly simple, however I can't work out yet how you get the ducting from the fan to under the front seating. There are duct outlets fitted and blanked off in the front under seat storage area, so the destination is clear. So the question is how/where does the ducting pass through toilet/shower room? any pictures would be great. Then the under seat storage area has the fresh water storage tank and the Truma boiler in it so not much space for ducting but I can sort of see a route. Any help or photos would be much appreciated but recognise that there a vast range of configurations available so don't expect a simple answer.

Ian

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Hi Ian,
We’ve got a 530 without fixed bed but the front is common (except our Truma is under the rear bench, next to the battery).

Here are some photos of the front (hopefully)

1&2 show the pipe coming from behind the tank,,
91C63BDF-A5D7-4D24-BE68-2423EAC11656.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
A7B9DB55-EEB4-4B22-BDBB-14ECFC4E10E7.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
The third is from inside the toilet cassette door, where the pipe is squeezed underneath.(that’ll be fun for you!)
995E23E3-DE25-4F3B-B75D-311AA946A31F.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

This one is looking down behind the heater to show the routing
EDFE472F-0107-4DB8-A4B0-38F1DB6B25B5.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
…and this one shows how the pipe is split; one down to the bathroom vent near the drain plug on the floor and the left-hand fork goes over the wheel arch to pass under the loo as mentioned earlier
492FF0C9-DC9E-4FED-B217-887931EE5F63.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Incidentally, the new heater cable goes to the spare socket under the distribution box. (Hidden behind the white outlet and controlled by the second mcb.)
5E07F130-90ED-4025-AC3C-BFA41E0BD9C9.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Hope this helps!
Steve.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:18 am
by Miniman | 20 Posts

Hi Steve, sorry for delay in replying, Thats fantastic thanks for the pics and explanations that's just what I was after. You're right the bit through the bathroom and under the loo looks fun but at least your pics show its possible. I'll go and do some more exploratory poking around tomorrow.
I noticed the tank has recess at the back of it. Ill probably remove the tank and see if i can access under the loo cassette and over the wheel arch. I feel some bad language coming on!!

regards
Ian

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:07 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

👍
It would be worth buying a set of fish-wires from screw fix to pull a cord through first and attach the pipe so you can pull it through.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:24 pm
by Miniman | 20 Posts

Ive already got the fish wires from screw fix. I just need the force to be with me now.

thanks for your pics again it gives me hope.

Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:14 pm

I do not envy you the job of getting the heating hose through. When I was "playing" with my van I could not see how it was possible to get the hoses through, yet I'd seen examples in the showroom with the hoses in place. All I can assume is the hose went in first, then the wiring was dragged through in the gaps that remained.
I'm would not be surprised if you need to undo some of the cable fixings to give you the room you need.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:40 pm
by Miniman | 20 Posts

i agree with your opinion. Im sure in most cases the ducting was in place and then built in. i think the std ducting is 65mm? i wonder if a smaller diameter would have a massive reduction on heat flow if used in the critical places for routing?

ian

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4