Nose weight touran 2.0 L : packing and towing a puck safely

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 06, 2021 10:13 pm
by DJP | 22 Posts

Hello
I would like some advice about packing for towing.
We are 2 adults, 2 teens and four bikes and hoping to make it to France.
- should I invest in a nose weight guage?
Bikes are on the car roof. Small tent for the girls. Are we too ambitious?

I am a very boring driver ...

Alan and Steamdrivenandy like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Nose weight touran 2.0 L : packing and towing a puck safely

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I always use a weight guage to avoid that whipping up and down which is most annoying. I use around 60/65 kg which is great for me. Most times I have it right before weighing but better to be safe and I just use a cheap Kampa guage they are probably not the most accurate but better than none .

DJP likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 06, 2021 10:21 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.304 Posts

All should be fine. We towed a 1300kg Troll with a 100 bhp 2L diesel Touran to the south of France. The 140 bhp model would have been nice. Do not buy an expensive nose gauge, get a cheap pair of bathroom scales instead. Sit the scales on a 400mm square of plywood on a hard ground surface. Lower the hitch onto a piece of 45mm square timber that stands vertically on the scales. Your Touran is hitch rated at 75kg but in the 10 years I towed 3 different Eriba's and a trailer tent I found 55/60kg was better.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france and DJP like this post!
Last edited Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu May 06, 2021 10:53 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 997 Posts

Don't trust the plastic noseweight gauges. We inherited one with our '01 540 and when we bought the Milenco BS gauge we found the cheap plastic one was registering well over the actual weight. This meant that we were actually running light on the nose and the heavier the noseweight the better, subject to the component limits.

From a quick check, a 2 litre Touran has an 1800kg towing limit, so it'll pull any Eriba Touring as the max the heaviest of them should weigh is just 1400kg. The car's noseweight limit should be in the handbook and you should always have the van's noseweight
below the lowest of the three limits car, hitch and towbar.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

DJP likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri May 07, 2021 10:40 am
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

I agree with Mr Motters, we have towed our 1000kg Troll with a 2 litre Touran 140bhp for the past 11 years and I think you're biggest problem will be holding it back. A great tow car and loads of room inside to carry all your bits and pieces.

We didn't bother with a nose guage for most of those years but were embarrassed into getting one recently. It confirmed that we were loading it correctly all these years.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Alan and DJP like this post!
Last edited Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 09, 2021 3:42 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

We've been to France with as a family with a Touran with both our Folding Camper & Puck L. Just a couple of observations that we have made.

Take out the middle seat, it stops the kids squabbling, lowers car weight & allows extra storage.

With bikes on the roof the sensors at the peage kiosks may think that you are driving a Class 2 vehicle whereas towing a Puck you should be in Class 1as it is below the 2mtr height & the bike height should not count.

2001 Super Puck chasing a Skoda Yeti
DJP likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 pm
by DJP | 22 Posts

thank you - we've taken out the middle seat before and might do again - good reminder. thank you

Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12520 topics and 105637 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4