thermal cooking pot anyone got one?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 10, 2021 4:37 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

We've always done quite a lot of off grid camping/caravanning mostly at sports events and shows that sort of thing. When we have a hook up because we're on a normal type of site rather than a muddy field in the middle of nowhere in particular we make good use of the remoska (when I remember to bring it out of the kitchen in the house) but off grid we're stuck with the now standard two ring gas hob in the van. In the winter we do like good hearty dinners to keep us warm and we've recently come across a thing called a thermal cooker. It works in exactly the same way as the old fashioned hay box works ie start cooking on a traditional cooker bring to boiling for 10 mins or so then bang on a tight lid and stuff the hot container into the very well insulated pot. Leave for 3 - 4 hours and it will continue cooking and be all ready for you when you get back from wherever freezing cold and usually wet. So dinner is cooking safely whilst you are out enjoying yourself.

Has anyone got one or used one (I've used a haybox years ago but a 3' x 2' wooden crate stuffed with hay is not convenient in an Eriba)

Denise & Phil

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: thermal cooking pot anyone got one?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 10, 2021 4:45 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Sorry Denise & Phil can't be any help but it sounds fascinating - almost Merlin-esque.

Will be fascinated to see the responses that you get

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

I came across a blog post about these a couple of months back related to off grid in a campervan. I now of course can't find it but sure it would come up on Google! The consensus seemed to be that they work, but only just about, the food not being as hot or as cooked as folks would have liked..... but at around £130 they were a very expensive purchase. If I find the link Ill edit this post.

marmite likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 am
by Randa france | 12.878 Posts

A funny story about a thermal cooker. The old ones that were black and shaped like a large lidded flowerpot.

This was about 15 years ago and we were camped at Millau in France alongside a Dutch family.

On this occassion they brought out this strange looking pot and reverently placed it on a tall treestump overlooking the river before gathering their chairs around it but at a respectful distance. Every now and then one of the adults would walk over to it and bow down to touch it.

We had not seen anything like it before and could only assume that they had brought their granny's ashes camping with them

We only found out later what it really was.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Steamdrivenandy, marmite and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Tue May 11, 2021 11:35 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 59 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12536 topics and 105738 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0