Corner Steady Locks - correct type for a Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:37 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

A potential insurer has specified I need a Milenco corner steady lock in addition to a wheel lock and hitch lock for my new Troll 540gt. The main dealer is new to Eribas and has asked me to find out which one fits. Any advice would be gratefully received! .

The choices are
Adjustable Corner Steady Tube Type.Product code 2165
Corner Steady Leg Nut Lock. Product code 2172 (or 2196 for two)
Adjustable Corner Steady. Product code 3094. This is my preferred one if it fits on the rear steady which it says are 'for open, uncovered corner steadies without tube'.

Skoda and 540GT

Last edited Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:21 pm | Scroll up

RE: Corner Steady Locks - correct type for a Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:33 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

Unless your insurance is an absolute bargain I’d be tempted to change my insurance company rather than buying the corner steady lock. If they require such a level of protection I’d be worried that they would wriggle out of any claim if you had forgotten to install all three devices every time you left the van unattended. I used to work in insurance and I’m very cynical, sorry no advice re steady lock, don’t have one 😁

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:45 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

You may well be right. Each insurer has added stipulations and some I cannot or do not want to agree to (for example a tracker). I have three quotes that work and now getting information on the security requirements for each one before making a decision.

Skoda and 540GT

Last edited Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

David, are you aware of this thread:- Insurance 2021-2022, particularly newer vans
Also over £25K seems to be a figure when a lot of companies request three security measures instead of the more usual two.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:50 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

Yes, thanks Colin that is the post I was using to identify companies and get quotes. Each company, not surprisingly, has different requirements and its proving to be more complex than expected but we will get there.

Skoda and 540GT
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:08 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

I just insured with Ripe: they didnt ask for corner steady wheel locks nor three types of lock (only two), and insured sum was greater than 25k

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi David

I looked in to getting these when we first got our 540 in 2016, not because of any insurance stipulations but because our friend had their BWB stolen from storage the night before they were going on holiday. They were really upset as you can imagine and it made me go a bit all belt & braces for a time.

However the more I read around it, it seemed that in practice they offered virtually no extra protection if someone wanted to steal your van. As such we never bothered buying any. I think it was Milenco ones we were looking at buying.

I think I would go with what other people have suggested and look elsewhere for insurance.

Colin might be right with his £26k figure as ours is insured for £25K and our cover doesn't mention it.

MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:17 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

Thanks Mike. I'm now focussing on other insurers as I saw the corner steady locks in action today at the storage yard demonstrated by a very helpful neighbour. I could remove them with a hammer so fairly useless (not that I did that in the storage yard of course!). The van is over £25k and some of the stipulations would make touring and stopping en-route a real pain for little security gain. I need to make the decision tomorrow and then buy the security devices they require before we pick up the van.

Skoda and 540GT
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 pm
by Raconteur (deleted)

Just_chillin, Ripe, Saga and Cover for Caravans are the three remaining on my list. I started with quotes from everyone on Colin's very helpful list of potential insurers.

Skoda and 540GT

Last edited Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:51 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Saga were not too bad but the now 10% (was only 8% when I did it) cashback from Quidco swayed it in Ripe's favour

Scroll up

Visitors
9 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 9