Hymer refusing weight upgrade request

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:19 pm
by Mike J | 23 Posts

We’ve recently bought a Puck L which has a number of options fitted including mover, battery, spare wheel etc etc. The MTPLM is 790kg and it has an axle plate showing 850kg. On checking at a Weighbridge the empty caravan, (with the exception of a full 6kg propane bottle), weighs in at 780kg, leaving practically no additional personal payload. I’ve emailed Hymer requesting an upgrade to 850kg and just received the following reply:

“Thank you for your enquiry.
After checking the data, we regret to inform you that we are not able to offer you an upgrading.
The cancellation refers to an uplift with and without technical modification.”

I’m not really sure why this is being refused and the second sentence doesn’t make much sense to me. I guess plan b is to have the mover and battery removed which will save me around 50kg plus. Any other advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Scroll up

RE: Hymer refusing weight upgrade request

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:27 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

It is possibly because the Pucks were all made in France and they may not therefore have the necessary information to issue an upgrade.
When production returned to Germany in 2010 they dropped the Puck and only produced Familia, Triton and Troll models.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:43 pm
by Mike J | 23 Posts

I guess it’s possible, but I emailed them photos of the body and axle plates with all the serial numbers etc so I would have thought they had all the info required.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:21 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Whilst some members seem to have had success in upgrading the MTPLM's on their older vans, Hymer have been relatively unique in the industry in countenancing such upgrades. UK manufacturer's won't agree even paper upgrades for anything over 5 years old and in some cases just 3 years of age is the limit.
Hymer may have decided that the risk of upgrading older vans, when the structural elements may have deteriorated with time, is too much for them to agree.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:10 pm
by Mike J | 23 Posts

After doing a bit of online research I think the refusal to upgrade is because of the figures on the body plate by the door. I have a figure of 790kg underneath where the chassis number is printed and then below this, 1 - 790kg. I think one of these is the MTPLM and the other is the maximum axle loading? The fact that they are the same figure means no upgrade is possible. I’m not sure why this is the case because the plate on the axle underneath says 850kg, but there you are…

Edit: here’s my plate.

IMG_0051.PNG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:29 pm
by zippy | 70 Posts

When comparing the 790kg and the upgraded 850kg puck-l's the 850's were always considerable higher off the ground than the 790's so there must be a difference, hence the 850 is more suited to having a mover fitted

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:31 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

we were looking to change our 320 when we were living in France, as the new van was in the UK, Hymer refused to issue a certificate of conformity for any pre 2010, this meant we could not register it in France so didn't proceed with the purchase

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:18 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

I was told by Hymer that I could upgrade the 1300kg axle on my 2018 Troll to 1400kg with a "technical modification" and even presented me with the Al-ko technical drawing numbers as to how this is accomplished. They said that they would issue authorisation for Al-ko to do the work but Al-ko have told me it is not possible despite the dimensions of a 1350kg and 1450kg rated axle being identical. Al-ko said that they could issue me a 1350kg axle plate without any modifications but Hymer will not issue a plate for any intermediate weight, only 1300kg or 1400kg. Basically they are both a bunch of clowns with no interest in after sales service or customer contentment.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:27 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I think the attitude to this type of dilemma is very different in europe. When here, you'll see all types of ancient vans being towed about. No-one - literally no-one gives a toss about nose weight or any other concern that are discussed here. That's maybe why Hymer don't want to get involved. You should see the state of some really old campervans on the roads! It's the Brits that come here with enormous wing mirrors, ginormous vans and cars that could tow a sherman tank.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:56 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

My observations would confirm what you are saying. Last time abroad we got called over to help the owner of a not very large Knaus van hook it onto the back of his Dacia Duster. It was a considerable lift for three of us to raise the van onto his hitch. The owner went off content, with the front end of the car pointing skywards.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1