Isabella Capri North roof problem

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:23 pm
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Hi all,
I have spent a good few hours over the weekend unsuccessfully attempting to erect a rand new Isabella Capri North awning to our 2021 Touring Troll GT550 that we purchased a couple of months ago from Adv. Leis., all was good until we found that instead of having a 4 way ridge connector, ours had only 3 connections, with no way of connecting down to the centre rail bracket (see pic), not helped by only having been supplied with the standard frame assembly details, not the specific Eriba one.
We found there was no way of tensioning the roof, the section by the caravan remained baggy & unusable, has anyone else found this problem? We gave up in disgust & threw it all in a heap in the garage!, however we will need it in a few weeks time for our hols, any ideas?20210806_161033.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: Isabella Capri North roof problem

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.321 Posts

The frame does not look correct. Usually you have awning rail brackets like these on a frame awning and not pads.. https://www.caravancanopyshop.co.uk/coll...ant=20540116551
The end horizontal roof poles would have a hook on the end of them that locates into these. The centre detail usually has a short drop pole to a similar bracket. I can see how the manufacturer could do away with this if you at least had the two solid end fixings to brace against. You will probably experience some baggyness in the roof fabric and we always used a couple of extra roof bars when we used frame awnings of a similar design.

One thing is for sure, you need to contact the awning supplier with your photos.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:55 pm
by Terryc | 104 Posts

Looks like wrong part ,phone Isabella

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 255F537E-6FD6-430D-9430-01F92E66694C.jpeg 

Last edited Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:58 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:35 am
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Thanks for the reassuring replies, I am in Suffolk with no local Eriba dealer (since Becks closed down) to view an erected Capri North awning, there seems to have been various versions of this particular roof part & arrangement, I have contacted AL who supplied the awning & am waiting to hear back, I have also become alarmed that Isabella may have recently discontinued this awning since our purchase.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:44 am
by eribaMotters | 5.321 Posts

I very much doubt you will find an example up. Don't be concerned about it being discontiude. This is not reflection on the quality just that the number they sell means it is not a good business proposition. The correct poles and parts should be still in stock to resolve the issue.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:45 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:50 pm
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Thanks Eribamatters,
yes, we have only seen one at AL where we bought ours, but that's 5/6 hrs away!
We did chat to a nice couple at Longleat site last week with an Ocean Drive, they kindly let us view their awning, foolishly, I never took any pics of it, it certainly was different to ours at the central ridge connection.
I have now contacted Isabella's service dept., & await their thoughts.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:45 pm
by Terryc | 104 Posts

We are off to suffolk in 2 weeks time will have awning up Kessingland Beach ,,think the north was discontinued couple years ago,A few Capri coals were made ,discontinued now a, there was a lot of old stock about

Last edited Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:25 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

I purchased an Isabella Capri awning in 2015. It came with the roof gutter accessory, mentioned in your later post. I've never used it. We had some seepage through the gutter during heavy downpours but after a while the cord in the roof channel swelled and these days we remain dry.

Regarding your roof issues. The Capri came with the 4-way ridge connector. A couple of years later and for some unknown reason they changed the ridge connector for a 3-way and I believe changed the awning name to include North. So your roof structure is correct. When they changed to a 3-way I don't know whether or not any changes were made to the geometry of the roof. Your best course of action is to call Isabella and ask for Colin Hewitt. He should be able to answer any questions you have regarding this awning.

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Last edited Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:23 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:09 am
by Deraldos Maisonblanc (deleted)

This is the 4 way connector you require - the hook connects into the awning connector as shown in your photo.IMG_3073.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Per Terram - 2017 530 with Skoda Superb
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:16 pm
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Thanks all,
this forum has been very informative.
Isabella/Adv L have sent me the 4-way roof cross now.
With the 3-way connector there was no central connection down to the awning rail & thereby no way or properly tensioning the roof fabric, it also somewhat causes complications with assembling the roof, making the ridge pole the last one that can be fitted & not the first, be warned that the 4-way cross also requires different shaped galvanised transverse roof members with the ends that slide inside the cross being of a different diameter, I understand that these are now also on their way to me.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:36 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

It would be interesting to know if your 4-way connector and the new rafter members you are waiting for fit the design of the awnings roof structure which may have been redesigned for the 3-way connector.

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:39 pm
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Hi PD,
yes, it seems to work ok, I erected the awning yesterday here at home using temporary 25cm long sleeves (28mm copper) over the joins, I did not fully tension the cross members but on first impressions it seems fine.
I am down in Sussex using it in a couple of weeks, will try it then if the new bits arrive soon.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:35 pm
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Yes, last week in Sussex 'Battle' site, the awning fabric seemed fine & the new roof arms that have arrived here from Isabella, maybe slightly baggy on the drop near to the awning rail, but I did not use a 'hercules' so some more tension could still be applied to the poles.

PooleDweller likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12536 topics and 105738 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1