How to: Remove a Rear Mounted Cycle Rack

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 am
by hob (deleted)

I'm writing this as a "how to" for others with a rear mounted cycle rack as with no instructions I made a few mistakes taking mine off today,

First I will deal with how they are fitted so you know where to look for the fittings.

Top mounts go through the lower part of the awning rail and emerge inside the rear top lockers,

Lower mount bracket is an angle bracket mounted just below the centre trim in the middle and the bolts come through the rear wall just below the table rail,

Next you will have reasons for wanting to remove said cycle rack, a few that spring to mind are

1 you don't want to use a cycle so its unwanted weight. (although it is all alloy and does not weigh a lot)
2 it spoils the look of the van.
3 it restricts your view from the rear window and stops you from opening it very far.
4 fitted winter covers will not fit with it in place.
5 you want to remove it permanently and maybe sell it.

So where did I go wrong? ..............I thought the top was bolted to the van so I got into the top lockers and removed the 4 nuts from the bolts with the idea that I could then go outside and support it while I removed the 2 bolts that go through the lower tube and the angle bracket allowing me to swing the bottom away and pull the top bolts out with the rack.

What I did not know was the rack has hooks on the top that fit into mounts in the awning rail so once the two bottom bolts are removed it just lifts off

So i had to go back inside and put the nuts back on the bolts and tighten them up again, there is no reason to remove the top mounts and the angle bracket if you wish to refit the rack at a future date.

If the intention is to remove it permanently and sell it you will need to remove the top and bottom mounts to sell it on ....................this will leave you with 6 holes that will need filling and covering in some way to make the van waterproof and improve the look of it.

Personally I will leave the mounts as a future owner may wish to refit it ..........although it still spoils the look of the van a little it ticks the other boxes in items 3 & 4 listed above.

This post will also be of use to anyone buying a new or second hand cycle rack and want to know how to fit it.

Before and after pictures

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 am | Scroll up
lockThis thread has been closed

Visitors
1 Member and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105552 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1