How to: Change the Pads in an AL-KO AKS 1300 STABILISER

in Detailed "How to" guides for improving or repairing your Eriba Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 am
by hob (deleted)

After my full caravan service I was advised that the stabiliser pads needed changing soon
That nice Mr Calder kindly supplied the info on how its done
AlKo AKS1300 Stabiliser

And the parts were ordered from

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/product_23794/friction_pad_kit_for_al-ko_aks_1300.aspx

Once they are delivered it looks a simple job to fit them .................more to follow when the parts arrive

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the parts arrived promptly a couple of days after I ordered them.

this is what about 30 pounds buys you

They don't look that well finished to me but presumably they will soon bed in.

It is best to do them one at a time so you don't get the bits mixed up so this is the handle side one

To remove them you have to prize the small clip out of the groove in the end with a sharp object (I used a small screwdriver blade)
When it comes out you will see a needle roller bearing and a backing plate for the bearing on the stem (and maybe a spacer though mine did not ) these need removing and placing on the new one in the same order, I put a couple of spots of oil on before refitting the new one to lubricate the bearing and to stop the stem rusting. It is important not to use too much oil as you don't want it getting on the pads.

Now the other side (the one with the plastic adjusting knob) this was a little different as it also had a spacer on it

As with the other side these parts need removing from the old pad and placing on the new one in the right order again 2 spots of oil and fit the new pad back in.
To refit them is just a matter of sliding them back in and pushing a new ring in the groove to retain them ..........the new pads come with 4 new rings but you only need 2 the others are presumably spares in case you drop one or need to refit them some time in the future?

This last shot shows a new one next to an old one to show the difference.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

and HDI163 like this post!
Last edited Tue May 27, 2014 11:56 am | Scroll up
lockThis thread has been closed

Visitors
1 Member and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12508 topics and 105549 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1