Vango Siesta Review [Elwood is the same but in blue]

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Just back from 2 weeks away on three sites and had one of these fitted at two of the sites over a 10 day period.
- light grey in colour so lets in lots of light.
- only weighs about 8kg and packs up easily in to a very generous sized bag.
- material does not really seem thin, in fact quality looks good.
- easy to get into awning track, I could probably do it by myself.
- first fitting a learning experience as sizes on website not 100% correct.
- I used one of the Isabella awning stops just to the right of the door and pulled awning into place, rough pegged bottom of air-beam and blew it up, very quick.
- I then pulled opposite ends where it meets to van, 3.1m apart, noting for future reference where it ran through/near badges and hatch etc.
- air beam pegs re pegged along with front corners before double checking and fitting remainder of pegs.
- 2nd time of fitting took less than 10 minutes.
- the top material length is 2.4m long with an extra odd 80mm of material and chord each end. It fitted my Triton allowing door to easily open to 90 degrees and under bed access locker to open, but not the window.
- adjustment in height is allowed for at top of awning sides. I put a clothes peg on one end and slid a length of pipe insulation on the other so the window did not get scratched. This was not really needed.
- you will see a gap at the top of the ends. Randa's noodles would probably sort this out but I'm not really bothered. On a Famila I think the fit would be better.
- light rain fell on the first night and a little pooling occured. I put my Fiamma Caravanstore in place with a mounting block against the van for the next night. It then pelted down, no pooling occurred but water wicked down the side of the van in typical Eriba style. Everything else OK.
- I sourced a length of draught skirt off e-bay, 70cm depth as you will not need to peg this down.
- a cheap hook into place groundsheet is included and a put a breathable mat on top of this which was very comfortable.

Unlike many campervan awnings the side doors in this do not enter into a tunnel with a flappy roof. You get a full 3.1 x 2.5m useable floor.
I bought mine 2nd hand in as new condition for £180 and I'm very pleased. The Elwood version in blue sells through the GoOutdoors chain and sometimes appears at £250.
If you want or need a short stay awning that is lightweight, easy and quick to erect this should be on your list for consideration.

P1040868-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040869-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040870-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040871-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
P1040872-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040873-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040874-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1040875-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:04 pm | Scroll up

RE: Vango Siesta Review [Elwood is the same but in blue]

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:41 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Colin

Is the material similar to your Sunncamp canopy?

It looks to be a useful size. Did you have any winds when you had it pitched?

Thanks
Mike

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:45 pm

Mike, the material does feel heavier, but I do not know how you could go about getting a scientific answer. No strong winds experienced when we tried it out, just a severe dumping of rain following a normal couple of hours of rain a day earlier.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:21 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

Colin, I know this is last year's post, but I think that the Fiamma support leg might be just the job for my Vango Bondi awning, which looks identical to the Siesta and suffers from pooling in rain. Can you say how you fit it at the outer end to the canvas.The wooden support at the caravan end I presume is attached with velcro. More details .would be helpful. Thanks.
Nick

Eevee likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:39 pm

Nick, the wooden pad is just braced in place by the pointed end of the pole, no Velcro. The other end of the pole that has a rubber foot sits above the air pole and tight against the roof. It does not appear to do any harm or stress the fabric, but I’m going to try a small car sponge around it next time.
Please PM me on Monday when I’m back home as I’ve recently bought a 2nd pole for about £28 inc p&p, the best price I could find.

Colin

ps - just remembered it was Leisure Outlet. If you do an internet search of discount codes then you can get 5% off.

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:28 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:03 pm
by Eevee | 20 Posts

Hi I may be interested in buying one of these awnings , There seems to be a couple of used one on line. I read one review that said
the "seal" between the bottom of the awning and ground was not good and let the draft in. What is your experience of this?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:25 pm

It seals fine to the ground. The weak area is getting a perfect seal to the van, something you can really only truly achieve with a model specific awning.
If you use the forum search facility then you’ll find Randa has had success with his home made “noodles”.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Eevee likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3