Eriba Axle Upgrade PtII

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:33 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

For new readers, a brief recap. For those who are already up to speed with the story, skip to the next paragraph.

A few years ago, I weighed my 1000kg rated Troll before we set off on a trip only to find it weighed 1100Kg, Since then, It has always been on my mind to rectify matters with an upgrade to a 1200Kg axle, an option at the time the van was new (2002). I approached Hymer who said this was possible and something they could sanction, as long as I got Alko parts to do the job. I tried without success with Western Towing, my Engineer’s local Alko dealer and finally, with particular lack of success, Alko UK. The latter proving impossible to speak to. I then contacted Alko head office in Germany, asking if they could help. They were more than happy to accommodate my request and there then followed a period of playing piggy in the middle between Hymer and Alko, making sure everyone involved had the permissions etc they needed (me included) Finally, I was in a position where I had written sanction from Hymer with the new Vin plate showing the 1200Kg axle rating and an appointment at the Alko Service centre in Kotz, Germany, just this side of Munich.

The journey from Cambridge took three days (I will post a mini trip report separately about that as there are parts of that story others may find helpful) until I arrived at the Alko works on a Sunday afternoon. Across the road from the works is a car park where there are hook ups (but no water or other sanitary offerings) for people awaiting their work to be done the next morning.

IMG_6403.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I was asked to attend reception at 7:45 to check in on the Monday and by 8:00am, the van was unhitched standing in front of one of the 8 bays where work was carried out (it was reminiscent of a large ‘tyre and exhaust’ place, though much neater and shinier).

IMG_6408.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

By 8:15 the van was up in the air on a lift and the axle removed. I was expecting to be there all day but by 9:15, the refurbished and uprated axle was being refitted to the van. I have a suspicion the chap had done it before.

IMG_6422.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) IMG_6419.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I had also opted for a brake overhaul, thinking a complete strip down and examination by someone who does this everyday, would be no bad thing for a 20 year old van. As it turns out, the brakes were in good order, a testament to the care the previous (original from new) owners had bestowed on the van, and the skills of my chap over the past 5 years. They did change the Bowden cables though.

The whole job was completed in 3 hours (I really was expecting all day) and by the time I had completed the paperwork and paid up, the Troll was waiting for me in the car park and another van had taken its place.

IMG_6424.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

And for those of you who don't know, this is what the inside of my axle will look like...

IMG_6414.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The following observations are all subjective:
1. The van rides much better now, with seemingly a ‘softer’ suspension set up that allows it to ‘ride’ bumps easier. I would imagine the rubbers that were
replaced had hardened over time.
2. The van sits higher. Foolishly, I had failed to take any measurements before the work was done, so cannot confirm this, other than it seems to sit higher
to my eye, also agreed by a pal who I sent a photo to taken on a level metalled surface.
3. There was no insistence that I change to 5 stud wheels from the 4 stud fitted. Both Hymer and Alko rather ‘fudged’ the issue. What I do know is that
from weight measurements taken after the work was completed, the van weighed in excess of 1000Kg with my minimal packing for my ‘there and back’
trip. I can only assume that considerably higher loadings have been carried in the van many times with no ill effect. The existing wheels were already
fitted with tyres rated in total above 1200Kg with sufficient ‘excess’ capacity.
4. Finally, and this is not subjective, regardless of the effort and expense incurred, I am happy in the position of knowing that the load I would normally
carry on a trip for two persons is now being carried in a greater degree of safety.

The costs for the work and associated clearance and new vin plate were as follows:

1. Clearance and Vin plate from Hymer - €200
2. Axle, removal, refurbishment and refit by ALko - €445
3. Brake overhaul - €200
4. Bowden cables - €45
Total - €890

And the final proof!

IMG_6425.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I do think the refurbishment of the axle and replacement of the older rubbers might be worth considering by those with older vans, but perhaps as something that is undertaken as part of a trip to the region. Presumably, if the axle was refurbished to the original spec, Hymer would not need to be involved and there would be a further cost saving over my outlay.

eribaMotters, FINNWOODY, Doonhamer and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Eriba Axle Upgrade PtII

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Great to hear a happy ending to the saga. What a result.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

RE: Eriba Axle Upgrade PtII

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:36 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I know from comments by a couple of German residents on another forum that upgrading axles is a relatively common thing to have done over there. It seems fraught with difficulties in the UK and given the OP's lack of success with Western and AlKo UK, I wonder why that is?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0