RE: Spare wheel

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:49 pm
by AlanC | 94 Posts

Hmm, don't think that is correct.

The profiles of the bolt used on Alloy and steel wheels are different. The Steel wheel bolt is on the left in this photo.

Alan

1E5A4A0C-249A-44EA-9D06-0A0BE638FFF4_1_201_a.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Liz and Alan

Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:20 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

The length also used to differ as steel wheels where thinner.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:02 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

I carry a spare caravan wheel in the boot of the car when towing., but this is largely because the under-van carrier was fouling the motor mover mechanism.

I have also used the car jack without any issues - but that means I do need to get down on my knees to change a caravan wheel.!(Note the Eriba is likely to be lighter than your car so the jack will take the weight) Clearly a trolley jack is more user friendly but, from my point of view, it is extra weight that I can better take advantage of elsewhere. Note - many modern cars are not supplied with a jack !

Finally, I would suggest that a caravan tyre is likely to have been damaged well beyond "tyre weld" use before you have identified the puncture - that's from experience - but fortunately the spare in the boot was pretty useful.

Carry on camping

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:34 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Similar to AlanCs photo. The contact area of a cone seated bolt and a steel wheel is very small. Right is one of the retainer bolts from my Nemesys Ultra lock, the middle one is a locking wheel bolt which I don't use. Both have a smaller contact area than the proper wheel bolt on the left which is in contact from 1/3 way down right to the threads. To help with the Nemesys retainer bolt I got some of these conversion washers which have a cone seat on one side and ball seat on the other. They seem to be used a lot in the states with the VW conversion crowd, but haven't seen them at all over here, so got these from the US on ebay.

Wheel nuts.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Last edited Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:35 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:12 pm

As #16 above. The "proper" bolt on the left that you mention is in fact for a steel wheel. It should not be used with an alloy wheel. The conical shoulders of your locking bolt and Nemysis bolts are for alloy wheels.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:29 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

The general consensus elsewhere seems to be that it's acceptable to use alloy wheel bolts with a conical seat for a steel spare if you don't have a set of radiused seat bolts, but that you really shouldn't do it the other way round and use radiused seat bolts intended solely for use with steel wheels to attach alloys.

An awful lot of cars - ours included - have a steel space-saver wheel which doesn't come with a set of radiused bolts, meaning that there's no alternative to using the conical seat bolts that hold the standard-fit alloy wheels on.

Since it's unlikely that your spare would be an alloy wheel if you've got steelies on to begin with, the scenario in which you might have to use steelie bolts on an alloy wheel almost certainly isn't going to happen.

If I get a caravan punsher and I can find my steelie bolts I'll use them because ultimately it's the correct thing to do. Otherwise I won't sweat it if I need to use the alloy bolts that held the original alloy wheel on to attach the steel spare.

I must admit to not having a huge amount of experience using steel space-saver wheels on a car - once is enough, thanks - but I haven't heard of a space-saver equipped car coming with a set of dedicated bolts despite car manufacturers being an almost neurotically risk-averse lot these days.

I wouldn't trust any of them with my granny if she were still alive, but if they are content in the knowledge that people with alloy wheels and a steel space-saver are going to use bolts for a purpose for which they are not specifically designed then I'll go along with that and not lose any sleep over it.

atkinbrown likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:50 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: atkinbrown wrote in post #15
We bought spare steel wheel from AL Tebay and they were adamant that different bolts are not required for the steel wheel.

That's a strange thing for them to advise especially when a spare tyre is supplied from Hymer they also include a spare set of wheel nuts to accommodate the steel wheel if you have alloys fitted.

However as Pete mentioned some cars have a spare steel wheel with no extra nuts supplied. My car has a full size steel spare wheel and no extra nuts? My Eriba came supplied with a steel spare and extra nuts??

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:19 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Just wondering. Maybe it is OK to use "alloy style" bolts on a steel wheel but not "steel style" bolts on an alloy wheel???

This probably just adds more confusion.

Don't hesitate, use the correct bolts for the correct wheels - it is a matter of basic safety - its your road wheels !

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:37 pm

There are two issues here.
Firstly, the undersides of the bolt heads differ to allow a full contact area with the wheel. I steel wheel is pressed and a shallow radius whilst the alloy wheel has a conical machined surface. For safety you really are advised to have the bolt and wheel fully meet.
Secondly, the bolt thread is different in length between the two types of bolt. This can prove critical, as if the longer bolt used for the allloy wheel is used on the thinner steel wheel then the ends of the bolts could I have heard project too far into the brake drum. I think the chance of this would be slim but I'm not going to risk anything for the cost of 4 or 5 bolts readily available from the likes of EuroCarParts.

Colin

ps we should be talking bolts and not nuts.

AlanC and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:44 pm
by Valjoneribafan (deleted)

My Triton 420gt came complete with a steel spare wheel and a set of wheel nuts, the wheel nuts for the fitted alloys
will not fit the steel spare wheel. Sorry I mean bolts not nuts!

Last edited Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:06 pm

How long have you had your Eriba and did you buy it from a dealer. I'd be on the phone and aske them to send you a set of suitable bolts, at no cost to you.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:17 pm
by FINNWOODY | 137 Posts

Exactly that happened to me Colin when I had a puncture in the dark on my A class Merc some years ago.I change alloy wheel to my spare steel wheel a put the original bolts back in.The car would not move...In my haste I knackered the brake drum.(discs at the front and drums at the rear).£400 worth of damage.What a wally!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:43 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Hi
Could you please advise how tall your Coram jack is when fully collapsed?

I have just bought an old British bottle jack which, when fully collapsed, is just under 170cm tall and I am hoping that it will go under the ALKO axle on my 2019 Troll. It does have a slightly curved (U-shaped) contact pad.

Thanks

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:59 pm

The jack is between 170/180mm in height, a lot less than your 170cm which would be about 5' 7". You should be OK. Have you checked if it is a double lift set-up as this is needed.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:56 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Hi.
Oops! Good job I wasn't describing anything anatomic!

No unfortunately it is not a double cylinder. It does have a screw-top adjustment which would allow me to take up any slack before it starts taking load, so the max lift of the axle would be about 100mm. Do you know if that'll be enough?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105779 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3