Bailey Discovery

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:14 pm
by Randa france | 12.878 Posts

Credit where credit's due, I've just been talking to the new owner of this caravan as I was amazed at the wrap around awning. He is brand new to caravanning as he has been a tenter thus far.

This design of awning would, I suppose, keep the length of the van down so no need for twin axles etc. The van is south of £20,000 new and the awning £1300.

We've been thinking "wrap around awning/sun shade" for the Eriba for some time now

https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/tourin...vans/discovery/

https://www.primaleisure.com/product/bai...ery-air-awning/

sIMG_2006.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)sIMG_2007.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)sIMG_2008.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:17 pm | Scroll up

RE: Bailey Discovery

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.007 Posts

The Discovery's come in D4 -2, D4-3 and D4-4 form, the latter figure denoting the number of berths.

I've seen complaints that though the wrap around awning looks good and sounds a great idea, but it's v heavy and difficult to mount. Some owners have reverted to a standard one to fit on the side because the wrap around was too much to manage.

We like the D4-2 but don't like the single front window from inside and the lack of provision for curtains.

The availability of a front 2 bike rack, or a big front storage box are excellent options.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

cruickie likes this post!
Last edited Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:51 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.320 Posts

I thought some owners had experienced issues with awning size being an issue on some C&MC sites. Shame as looks a decent idea, as Roger has commented.
It is nice that manufactures are starting to think a little outside the box to avoid the large bungalow on wheels.
As I type this there are many twin axle monsters on the site we are at. The Buccaneer Bermuda blocking out my view at present us such a beast. 1990kg max twin axle with self levelling and a host of toys. It is inhabited by a mature couple who also sought it necessary to put up a near full length awning.
I have to laugh as I've just looked up this £40K box and the payload is 169kg, or about 100kg when you have made allowance for the twin mover system fitted. By the time the tall fridge freezer has been filled and underwear loaded the payload has gone.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Is it really in the spirit of Eriba camping? It must be very dark inside. What we love about our van is the fact that you feel outside, even when you're inside, the windows being lovely and big. Isn't one of the joys of it is that it's small? It's not for me.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Ray Lawrence, addisb and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.007 Posts

It will be interesting to see what happens to UK made van payloads now that the 3500kg gross train weight limit is going. That was the main driver for keeping van weights low which, counter intuitively seemed to work through the caravan ranges and be applied to big twin axles which would never be used in an under 3500kg rig anyway. Lightness is king seemed to extend throughout.

The NCC invented their minimum payload formula to encourage a level playing field and stop over zealous marketing people promoting their products with stupidly low payloads, just to be able to boast low overall weight. The minimum formula was/is just that, a minimum, but like lemmings no UK manufacturer will dare offer more as standard for fear of losing sales to rivals who stick with the minimum.

At the time the formula was introduced the minimum was a sensible amount, based on so many kg per metre length plus so many kg per berth plus a 50kg amount based on a range of standard items. At that time motor movers, which weigh circa 30kg, were very rare and now they're almost ubiquitous, but there's no allowance for them in the minimum formula. In addition the average battery now fitted to a van weighs about 25kg and that 50kg allowance only included 17kg for one. So you get 150kg payloads on single axle 4 berths, a bit more for longer twins but around 50kg of that goes in mover plus battery. So the payload available becomes around 100kg, when originally the promoters thought it would be about 133kg after fitting a battery. So somehow owners are supposed to load with 33kg less than their pre mover counterparts. Mmmmm.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:41 am | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12534 topics and 105729 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5