Towing vehicle issue??

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:56 am
by ASMCA (deleted)

Hi everyone
We have a 2018 430GT 60th edition which we absolutely love.
We have access to 2 towing vehicles, our sons 2wd VW Transporter (which tows like dream) and our steel sprung VW Touareg (which is unpleasant to tow with). It’s as if the Touareg and the caravan are “fighting” each other, creating a fidgety and very unpleasant experience. I’ve tried all sorts of combinations of weight distribution, nose weight and tyre pressure, all to no avail.
In conversation with a fellow Eriba owner with a 420GT, he said that it was a known phenomenon with 4x4’s and lightweight caravans. Indeed, he quoted his dealer, who claimed to be able to tell if an Eriba had been used extensively by a 4x4 because of micro ripples in the side panels caused by the stressful combination.
Is there any documentary evidence for this, rather than hearsay?
Do I need to change my car? I’m happy to do so, but want to make sure that I’m doing the right thing before I do. Thanks very much in advance. Steve.

Scroll up

RE: Towing vehicle issue??

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:54 am
by marmite | 400 Posts

Hi

We towed a Triton 418 for 12 years with a LR Discovery and the only ripples on the side of our van were the Cernay Wave it was manufactured with.

Haven't heard of this particular phenomenon before maybe someone else has.

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:59 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Firstly the amusing story of micro ripples. I've owned Eriba caravans since 2003 and I've never heard of it. The Eriba is a thin aluminium sheet wrapped around a steel space frame. The factory welding of these frames and the application of the skin a bit irregular, meaning some vans leave the factory with a side panel looking like an ocean wave. This is particularly the case on the longer panels of some Trolls. This is one of the reasons why I went for white on my present van when I ordered it as a factory build to my specification.
As regards your towing issue. I'm guessing the Transporter has a fairly high noseweight limit, although not as high as the Touareg, so I would rule this out of the equation. If it is towing fine behind the Transporter your tyre pressures are correct, probably 48/50 psi.
I would suggest two things. How empty is the van, as like a trailer they are best towed with some weight in them. I would also advise getting your Touareg suspension checked out. Snapped coil springs are fairly common today and you would not even realise it in every day driving. In fact I had two snap on a VW Touran.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Frantone and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:02 am | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:31 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

I've been 'involved' with Eriba Tourings for more than a decade and I too have never heard that theory before.

As Colin says it is a good idea to have the car rear suspension checked just in case.

If, somehow, you could get a third vehicle to tow the van, loaded as per trips that had the issue that might clarify whether it's van or towcar that are the issue.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Frantone likes this post!
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Strange, I would have thought the VW Touareg would be an excellent tugger. I have used a Dacia Duster and Suzuki Vitara 4x4s with no issues. If anything they are more stable and sure footed than their 2 wheel drive counterparts.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 am | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:18 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I have towed Eriba for 6yrs with 4x4s and only have issues if I don’t check my nose weight each time and 70Kg is the optimum weight I aim for if not as you say it can be a tiring drive.

Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:05 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Another consideration is wheel alignment (on the tow car). When I recently had new tyres, I got a wheel alignment check and the backs were way out on one side. After adjustment I felt the Eriba did tow better, although we don't do enough miles to really know for sure.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:05 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105681 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3