Washroom Sink Plug - (It's only taken me 3 years to fix it!)

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri May 30, 2014 6:22 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.750 Posts

Ever since we bought the caravan in May 2011, the washroom sink plug chain has been detached from its fixing point on the sink surround.

P1010078.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It's no big deal but it has always annoyed me that due to the link that attaches to the sink being broken, I've been unable to repair it - until today that is.

Quite by chance I was browsing the shelves of a local garden centre/tool shop this afternoon when I noticed packs of sink plug repair parts for the princely sum of 80p. So I bought one on the off-chance that it might do the job.

P1010079.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1010080.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

One side of the chain end fixing has a hole and slot through which the end ball of the chain is passed.

The next job was to remove the broken fitting which had been pop riveted to the sink at the factory. As the plastic sink is so easily damaged, I decided to drill the old rivet out using a hand drill as one slip with a power drill could have been disastrous. Once the head of the alloy rivet had been removed, the rest of it was easily pushed through to drop behind the panelling leaving a nice clean hole for the new rivet.

P1010081.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

You need to select a correct diameter rivet that is long enough to go through both the fitting and the plastic and mushroom underneath as it is tightened.

P1010082.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

One squeeze of the riveter later and the job was done.

P1010083.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I don't know about you, but I can derive tremendous satisfaction from doing even a simple little job like this and the disconnected sink plug will no longer annoy me every time I use the washroom.

Result!

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12556 topics and 105899 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4