Duty Free

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:32 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I've been fortunate enough to go to France a couple fo times recently,and the first time since the new Duty Free rules came into play. I found the guidance on the Gov web site a little ambiguous - https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-u...n-Great-Britain - so queried it with HMRC. My concern was the amount of still table wine one can bring back. The stated limit is 18ltrs (24 standard bottles) but there is an additional allowance of a further 9ltrs of sparkling, fortified or any other alcoholic drink up to 22% alcohol. It was the latter 'or' comment that caused me to wonder, did an extra 9ltrs of still table wine fall into the catagory of any other alcohol up to 22%. Sadly, the answer is a very definite no. The only formal way round this is to bring 24 bottles of wine and a further 12 bottles of fizz (or whatever).

Silly, isn't it...

However, there are 2 additional comments I wanted to make. The first time I returned, having misinterpreted the rules, I brought back 36 bottle of wine, the cases clearly on show in the back of the car. At Eurotunnel, I was asked by French Customs (note French, not British customs) how much I had. I replied confidently 36 bottles and was waved through. When I came back last week (through Dover by Ferry) I was a little more circumspect and just had the 24. I stopped and asked a Customs official what my allowance was and he was unable to interpret the rules and give me formal guidance...

Of course, those rules are per person, so just make sure you take a non-drinker with you....

Scroll up

RE: Duty Free

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 am
by eribaMotters | 5.319 Posts

Hugh, did you notice any fridge checking on your way out? On the C&MC website the reports say it is generally few and far between. The consensus being to basically travel as you would normally for a long European trip, ie take a few basics and couple of prepared meals to ease your first night.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:29 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

No, nobody really bothers with anything. The French authorites on both occasions asked if I was double jabbed (but required no proof) On my return this time, I had to present my passenger locator for but not on the previous return. On neither of the trips did anyone bother with my 'Statement d'honneur'. The only enquiry made of the Eriba (when I did the axle trip to Germany) was was the gas turned off (that was through the tunnel) The most recent trip was car only. I would think it worth the risk based on my experience. I even smuggled a cheese sarnie into the port at Dover on my way out.... The Eriba wasn't even checked for stowaways when I returned with it a few weeks back.

I am convinced that from a Customs perspective, we are not worth bothering about, there are much bigger fish to catch. But don't rely on that as your defence!

I will say this, though, think back whistfully to those heady days of easy travel that are now gone... You even get stamps in your passport now....

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.319 Posts

I'm guessing the stamps are the easiest way for monitoring the 90 in 180 days rule.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:05 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

I would imagine that the technology when the passport is machine read would do that?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:02 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Having just heard an item on the radio about problems with the 90 day in any 180 day period in Europe where people's Passports are not stamped upon return (in error) it would seem the the technology I imagined is not the case. It does seem that manual checks take place. Apparently, a European visa waiver system (similar to the American ESTA process) is to be introduced in the next year or so. These will last for 2 years and cost €8 (all predicted).

Note to self, make sure passport is stamped upon return...

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12533 topics and 105724 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3