Pegging awning into hardstandings (and a bit about romance)

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:45 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

A while ago we had a thread about the difficulty of pegging our awnings down into hardstandings rather than into grass. We shared some ideas about the hard ground pegs that we used.

I want to move it sideways a bit and suggest something about mallets and hammers.

For ages as tenters we used a great Outwell rubber mallet and also a wooden mallet that my Dad used as a camper 50 years ago. These were both brilliant at hammering the pegs into even baked hard ground. However when we got the Eriba we started to pitch more on hardstandins with perhaps only a few pegs being hammered into grass.

We soon discovered problems with solid hard ground pitches. I sadly broke the head of my Dad's vintage wooden mallet (from the Shipyard where he was a coppersmith) and the Outwell mallet really struggled to hammer stone ground pegs into the pitch.

Someone suggested a copper headed camping hammer. I bought myself one and it is great for hammereing pegs into hardstandings.I only bought one so Kath had to still try to use the rubber hammer, with limited effect..

However recently it was her sixty something birthday and as a true romantic her main birthday present was an even heavier copper headed peg hammer - she was thrilled with my generosity................

IMG_20211117_121631176_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I have attached a photo showing the mallet and the two copper headed hammers. If you have a hint of romance in you one of these would make a perfect Christmas or Valentines Day surprise gift for your loved one. They really do work.........

MikeT

FINNWOODY and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Pegging awning into hardstandings (and a bit about romance)

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:04 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Mike, those copper ones really are posh. I resorted to my Thor copper mallet some years ago, supplemented with a claw hammer. I never found rubber headed ones much use, in fact I list the head on one very early on in my caravaning years.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:46 am
by FINNWOODY | 137 Posts

Mike, it's good to know that romance is still alive and well in your home. My advice would be to sleep with one eye open and don't leave any hammers lying around....

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:26 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Rubber headed mallets. We still see many of them being used on campsites. I'm intrigued to know if they still work as most pegs now are made from steel? (apart from the big red plastic ones that Isabella still use). I always thought rubber mallets were used to extend the life of wooden pegs.

I'm also keen to hear why copper headed hammers/mallets are the order of the day? Isn't copper softer than the head of a steel peg?

As for us, we've use a modified all in one steel shafted claw hammer which I filed out the claw a bit so that it can fit over the steel peg heads to be able to yank them out of the ground.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:44 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

My copper "Thor" hammer is short and weighty so fits in tool/peg bag easily. It is also useful for hitting things back into shape/place without denting them, if the needs arise, eg corner steady on one occasion. I would not buy one just for pegging but if you have one at home it's worth taking, I'd go for a nice cheap metal shafted claw hammer if buying from new.

Colin

ps - That skinflint Mike has got off lightly. Mrs eribaMotters early X-mas present has just cost me £114, which actually isn't bad value for a pair of Hankook all seasons tyres including the fitting and balancing obviously.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:05 am
by JefL | 95 Posts

The advantage of copper being slightly softer than steel is the mallet doesn't slip off as readily when striking a steel peg at less then the perfect angle.
Mine is a Thor branded one I picked up cheap because the hide face insert had shrunk and fallen out. I fitted a delrin insert to this side to make it a copper/plastic mallet rather than copper/hide. The plastic side I use on plastic pegs when on grass, less likely to damage the peg than with metal. The additional weight over a wood or rubber mallet makes it a lot easier to use.

Watching people try and knock in rock pegs on a hard standing with a rubber mallet can be quite amusing too.

If I gave 'er indoors a mallet for Christmas I know where it would quickly end up, so it will never happen.

Jef

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:40 pm

hi Randa

I don't think that they are just copper. I think that they are some sort of alloy with copper in it. But they do seem to have a bit if "give" compared to using and ordinary hammer - you don't get the same "ting" .

The hook on the end is also good for getting difficult pegs out

Mike

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Colin

That will be an expense for me in 2022. Where did you get them from?

Skinflint a bit harsh as I also got her a large tub of my favourite chocolates.........................

Mike

rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:07 pm
by Hurologist (deleted)

I just use a normal club hammer and storm pegs, but I agree that some hardstandings are a real issue so I try to pitch at the edge and put the awning on grass if I can. Beats me why some independent sites haven't grasped the need to make 'hard' standings accessible for pegs. I had to pitch on tarmac in Cheddar recently. Most of the club sites of either club are reasonable.

Hugh Rogers
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:25 am

Hi H
That brings up the other problem of poorly constructed hardstandings in that once you have battered the pegs through the stone they then can become really difficult to remove from the ground when you come to take the awning down.

On one private site after some strong winds I damaged my Kampa awning front skirt getting the peg out. The steel peg ended so bent I had to throw it.

Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:47 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I use an electric drill. Saves a lot of effort and no bashed thumbs.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:05 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

This post reminded me that I needed to check my pegs. I looked in the peg bag and found spare plastic pieces and little rubber rings to hold them at the top of the pegs. I realised that I had no spare rubber ladders for the awning sides, so I have ordered some. I also use an electric drill as its easier that putting my back out trying to pull the damn things out ! I am sure that the worms these days think it is fun to stop them being pulled out. I do also carry some hammer in pegs and a large hammer...just in case.

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Williebraveheart and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:42 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I use a 2lb lump hammer and rock pegs, the first time you miss it certainly focusses your aim and concentration for the next peg....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:44 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Never had a problem with rock pegs and a decent claw hammer for bashing in and pulling out. Job done!

SOULBLUESMAN68 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:08 pm
by pugcd52 | 8 Posts

2lb or 4lb lump hammer, and claw hammer for removal, sometimes use a drill if if hard standings not too bad.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2